Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Raven & Vortex - Musicon The Hague, 8 September 2026


Tuesday night and it was raining cats and dogs. So I was worried about turnout for the great Raven tonight, turned out I was wrong again. A nicely packed Musicon was filled with even different generations all ready for some eighties metal by Raven and Vortex. 


Vortex opened the evening as Vortex, not Metal Bats even if teh merch said Metal Bats.Not sure how their loss of Martjo influences the name under which they perform, but for me Vortex means Open the Gate. They managed to produce one of the cult underground metal clips of the eigties and I believe we even got to see it at Sky TV Monsters of Rock at the time (the show with Amanda Reddington and Mick Wall). So in a way I was this evening waiting for Open the Gate, while knowing they would close their set with this hit. Eighties hard rock/metal we got before and the off the wall presentation made it a nice enough show. Pieter arrived as per his tradition way too late, but just in time to see Open the Gate.


Raven always deliver a good show, giving it their all. As they said today they have been coming to The Netherlands for 45(!) years now and shall keep on returning as long as we want that. Looking at tonight's audience and reactions that shall last a while as in my memory it was more busy now than eight years ago on a Friday night. The band keeps on releasing new albums too, so the set consisted of songs from many different albums. Of course we rocked until we dropped and did so all for onne, but some songs I did not know were nice surprises too (Pick Your Window). The band did give their usual energy with the attitude off what you hear is what is played. They also seemed genuinely pleased that in spite of the awful weather outside it seemed pretty packed on a Tuesday. Anyone watching them running across teh stage, must sympathize with the band and I have no problem seeing them return every few years to Musicon (or elsewhere). Tonight they play Little Devil, so anyone not depending on striking public transport enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment