Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Exist - Iconic - Karcius - Lex Legion


Some more CD tips from the last months.


Exist - Beyond Purpose
One of the albums I picked up at Progstorm is this EP by Exist, which was released the week before only. I discovered this progressive death metal band in 2017 when they released So True, So Bound. I loved next album Egoiista and missed Hijacking the Zeitgeist due to postage issues (also picked up at Progstrom). I can safely say that since returning from Canada, thsi is the band I played most. Also as I had two new releases. Still trying to figure out why Exist are not huge. Max Phelps is known from his work with Cynic and Death to All. Alex Weber is now also in Revocation and together they play in Wait. Anyway anyone into progressive death metal where both grunts and clean vocals are great try out Exist. Three songs only this time, with in the middle an epic track of almost 8 minutes, like they do so often. And now I know that live they are sensational too.


Iconic - II
Frontiers records love to put together super groups and Iconic is number 872 in that row. As the title states this is their second album. The members are Nathan James (Inglorious) on vocals with further Michael Sweet, Joel Hoekstra, Marco Mendoza and Tommy Alridge completing the band. If you don't know these names you are not into melodic hard rock and can stop reading. I bought this album as it was released at the right time for becoming an often played summer album. Musically you can guess the direction by reading the band member names and Whitesnake can be name-dropped. Is this world shocking original? Of course not. But both performance and songs are so fine, that you gotta love the album. No tours expected I guess, but to be revisited when uplifting moods are required.


Karcius - Black Soul Sickness
Karcius are a long running band from Canada, but I only discovered them with their previous album Grey White Silver Yellow & Gold. I was drawn to the band when reading that their vocalist is Sylvain Auclair from Heaven's Cry fame. Karcius are a bit less metal than that band and play music in the range of heavy prog rock or progmetal light. In heaviness Enchant comes to mind. With this album being more moody also a band like Wolverine pops up. Always a brave move to open with the epic track, but Wallow sets the right mood over 13:28 minutes. Just like the previous one, a very fine album by this band. Maybe time to explore a back catalogue?


Lex Legion - Lex Legion
Anyone into plain old Heavy Metal already owns this album and has read about it. The band is the King Diamond line-up of Them with not King Diamond, but Pagan's Mind's Nils on vocals. All songs very close to four minutes, there is no time wasted in showing off. Mosty fast and the voice of Nils surprised me, as when I saw him with Pagan's Miond a few times I never was this impressed. In the eighties it was the voice of King Diamond that kept me away from Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. Later my mind became more open and I do have the Abigail and Them double. This is must have material for heavy metal fans and I believe that they are talking about touring too. Tees can use the nice logo, but should stay away from the album cover really.

No comments:

Post a Comment