Demon coming to town. Not something we could say often, I guess never. Even The Netherlands are not all that often visited by the band., As support they brought along Steelover from Liege. A place they are playing both today at the great Golden Age of Rock Festival, which I unfortunately could not attend this year. So a mid road stop in Musicon it was for Demon and if upon entering I feared a very empty venue, it later filled up better. Many people in I knew not from Musicon, but from other old skool metal parties. My post on our gig app group resulted in Peter and Rene showing up and Hans already confirmed before that Demon was a good excuse for some beers in Musicon.
So Steelover could open the evening for us. Thier first run was from 1982-1986when they released the LP Glove Me. I don't remember ever having heard their name in the eighties. Reformed in 2016 I saw their name appearing on festival posters, but I never saw them live before. Their music is strongly footed in the eighties and their straightforward Hard Rock/ Heavy Metal went down well. They just released a new album Devil's Highway and most songs came form that album. All new to me that did not impact. A nice enough opener that brought what I expected, but did not make me run to the merch stand really.
Demon opened with the expected Night of the Demon and closed with the equally expected (Guest?) One Helluva Night. Inbetween thsoe two classics we got a ride through their now 47 year career from first single Liar until a song from their last 2024 album Invincible. It soon became clear that Demon were in good shape and a very tight band was headed by vocalist and only original band member Dave Hill. He deserves a special mention as I don't see him being mentioned often on discussions of vocalists of respectable age who still did not loose any of their power. Apart from a great performer he also delivers the classics as if we are still in the eighties. Many highlights throughout the set, for me the best came when they reached my favourite album The Plague, which for this evening was turned into The Hague. Title track and Nowhere to Run both stood firm and who does not like shouting along with The Hague?. A very entertaining set by Demon it was and one fine evening in Musicon yet again.



No comments:
Post a Comment