The atmospheric blackmetal band Fen are back with a part one of Elemental. I had a few of their albums, missed a few and than saw them live again last year at Samhain festival This made me realize I should follow them more closely, as they were great. Now they are back with six songs spanning just over 45 minutes, which in Fen's world means short songs. While the music is their usual dark self I believe the vocals are more on the background this time. Only when clean sung they are clear in the mix. The album does manage to bring you back to swampy fen areas and for me they could return to The Netherlands soonest.
Now here is an album many people were curious to hear. After first the departure and shortly thereafter the death of Brett Hinds, how would Mastodon sound and recover. Well upon first listening I could hear that the typical Mastodon sound is still very present. Bretts voice is not here, but in the lyrics many times he is remembered (even if the album is also dedicated to Michele J. Lawrence). I think this one is pretty accessible again, but maybe a bit less so than Hushed and Grim, which came before. The line-up now also holds a permanent Keyboardist in Joao from Pernambuco. That should result in some mood addings on stage. Later I can better compare where this album stands in the Mastodon discography, but first impressions ar every positive for me.
In Canada Christian picked up the free magazine Absolute Underground, which held an interview with this band. Next steps were checking them out online and ordering the album and while at it, pick up their debut Convergence too. Reminiscence musically is the best tech metal album made so far this year. So fans of Watchtower, should take note. The strange language song titles and lyrics in one case, mean that Cynic also is never too far away I guess. So musically absolutely top, I can imagine the vocals are not for everyone. I believe they fiit well with the music though. With this very intense music a total lenght of 37 minutes is just fine Funny how a coincidental interview encounter, can lead to a new favourite band.
Nefarious are this all star thrash metal line-up band. Last year this album was released with Katon W, de Pena on vcals. I missed it at the time,and got this album now after seeing the band with Sean Rivera on vocals. The band re-released the album with Sean singing and that is the one I got. Now I love Hirax live and Katon is a brilliant showman, but here the mix of thrash metal with more Heavy Metal vocals is what makes this album so good. Well the line-up also helps as when you can name drop Exodus, Death Angel, Blind Iluusion and Heathen as past bands of members, something must be right. Here I saw the live show first and than got to know the album later, highly recommended.
The second album of this band, which is mainly Jim Matheos and Ray Alder of Fates Warning fame. This is their second album and it again is far aaway from anything Fates Warning. Jim's project Tuesday the Sky at times comes closer and also Chroma Key can be mentioned. Yet, when Ray Alder sings on any album my interest is risen. This time a bit more guitars compared with their debut album Really Good Terrible Things. Still it is no metal and better suited for waking up slowly or nice eveing background music. And man how I would love a Fates Warning farewell tour still.
Now here is a strong candidate for my Doom Metal album of the year. As the name suggests Todomal (All bad) are from Spain and these graveyards do bring tremendous amounts of joy indeed. This is epuic doom, which at times reminds me of Anathema during their best period (Judgement) Some Gothic references too appear at times. The songs are fairly to the point for doom metal with 9 songs clocking in at 43 minutes. The band only consists of two men Wildman and Mile. Still sorry I attended a birthday party the very afternoon they played Baroeg.







No comments:
Post a Comment