Tuesday 19 September 2023

Night Demon & Speed Queen - Musicon The Hague, 18 September 2023


Monday night often means Musicon Metal night nowadays. Tonight we would go back in time with two bands playing heavy metal as if we were in the eighties again.. Or as Marko called it halfway the Speed Queen set, refreshing after the many death and extreme shows we get served lately. And so it was.


Speed Queen from Hamont Belgium would open the evening. With a name like that they play Heavy Metal with Speed tendencies. Not full speed all the time and when they went slow with a song for the ladies I believe they had some Krokus in them. As it was Monday and some people arriving still during their set, Musicon warmed slowly to their set and those who were of a certain age did like a trip back in time. While the band was good one special mention can go out to Andreas, as his solos were very tasty and fast at times. I believe tonight was the first times I saw two drumsets on the not so huge Musicon stage so the same was slightly extended to give Thomas some space to move around as well. Finally Zeeman shorts rule!


Night Demon touring their latest album The Outsider and I believe they opened their set with the full album. Now I don't own that album on CD yet and it was sold out I believe. This meant that I and many others were watching a show by Night Demon with unknown songs to start and more mellow pieces than we remember from the past. Luckily they played a long set and when halfway they went for their first albums speed and atmosphere went up. The first time I saw Night Demon was some 9 years ago in de Vinger. At the time I asked them why they did not play Radar Love in the hometown of Golden Earring. Since then I never saw them live without Radar Love in the set. That still works as it remains a great song also in the riff chorus metallized version of Night Demon. So after a calm opening they did win over the audience again in the end and  while the Demon song Night of the Demon opened their show, it was Night Demon to close the same. Another great evening in Musicon was had, with for me a bonus as I hosted Speed Queen. Very nice guys telling me about their trips, lack of sleep and legendary R-Mine festival in their hometown.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment