Sunday 10 September 2023

Baroeg Open Air - Zuiderpark Rotterdam, 9 September 2023


Baroeg Open Air did not have the strongest line-up ever for me, so originally I was in doubt. After the great Roosendaal Open Air experience last week I decided to go anyway, also as our semi-permanent visitor Lida felt like seeing Katatonia. Easy to arrive by Metro we did not leave very early. Pity as one of the bands I would like to see were Bark opening the main stage. Arriving around 16:30 we could see the festival was busy this year. Best weather possible made everyone thirsty so queueing became part of the day: entering, getting coins and getting drinks. The setup had the two circus tents as main stages. One for music and one for computers. Next to that small stages gave space to smaller bands. The area is big enough to miss people you saw posting pictures as proof of their presence. Still bumping into many people along the day in the sun, made this a great BOA.


On the music front we entered shortly before Nanowar of Steeel would start. I was curious if this parody metal as they call it would be any success. Well for me not all that much. One George Mchael song metaled up is OK, but if the next one sounds like Ricky Martin my attention drifts away and I prefer meeting people. During the day Buried at the Plee Stage was to my liking. I did not know the old band they were, but Rene got an additional place in the sun as one song got dedictaed to him promoting the band in the nineties. Headliners  Katatonia gave a great set of melancholic metal, which was twice too much for the local power station.  Brutus did not win me over and Demented Are Go at least gave a show to watch. So in the end I got what I expected a nice day out in the sun, with at times music I liked. Back next year, hoping for the inclusion of an old-skool metal band in the line-up (Riot City deserve a good festival in The Netherlands).



No comments:

Post a Comment