Wednesday 20 September 2023

Damnation Plan - Demoniac - Tritop


This time three pretty different albums, all worthwhile of your time though.


Damnation Plan - The New Horizon
Questions: is this a full album or an EP? Same goes for the musical style. Metal Archives calls them Melodic Death Metal. I saw reviews talking about Progmetal, while I would say that people who like doomy Swedish Heavy Metal like Sorcerer should check these Fins out as well. I believe this band found me through adverts on Facebook. Interesting as 99% of the adverts having nothing to do with me or my interest. But The New Horizon than? well it gives us five songs totalling almost 33 minutes. Long epic songs, with dark and moody atmospheres are presented. If you add good vocals and strong songwriting this is yet another band I discovered this year, while their first album is from ten years ago. I can imagine that in the great flood of releases this one goes missing, but basically anyone liking any of the three styles mentioned above should check them out. If like me you like all three styles, you will love this album.


Demoniac - Nube Negra 
My favorite Chileans are back. In 2020 they gave us So It Goes. That was an album in both English and Spanish and had a title track of almost 20 minutes covering one side. A bit of a Blackened Thrash Rush therefore. This time English has left the album, leaving us only with Spanish lyrics and two instrumentals. No epic either, but still lots of variation as clarinet and accordeon are still present. No worries though as these won't disturb the overall heaviness of this album. I believe that over the last three years Demoniac got a notch heavier in general. I still need a few more spins before catching all that is presented to us. But I like what I hear so far and for me Spanish lyrics are a bonus and a refreshing crash course. So they did it again, but how long is it flying from Valparaiso to Europe?


Tritop - Rise of Kassandra
And now for somethig completely calmer. Italian progressive rock presented by Tritop. The album is already half a year old, but I found Tritop by a DPRP review, who are always late with their reviews. Tritop are Italian, but there is definitely also something American in their prog rock. As this is their debut holding four songs with an opener of 13:00 and a closer of 23:46 you might think of Spock's Beard and their debut. Musically they are also not miles apart. Prog rock with enough heavy bits and pieces, to potentially win over the progmetal fan as well. Italy was known for their prog rock in the seventies. I do like this century as well, with bands like Moongarden, O.R.k. and now Tritop. Recommended even if slightly late.

No comments:

Post a Comment