Wednesday 6 September 2023

Angel - Scar Symmetry - Tailgunner - Till the Dirt

 

Here's some CD's you might want to check out.


Angel - Once Upon a Time
Angel releasing a new CD, means to fanboy me a buy in the blind. That was not all that easy as European distribution turned out poor and postage costs went through the roof. So when I finally got my physical copy I had read several reviews already. Not all positive all along, but I can't care. Is the album too long? maybe, but noone forces me to play it in one go. Does the semi title track Once Upon a Time An Angel and a Devil Fell In Love ( And It Did Not End Well) include cheesy lyrics and lovemaking noises for more cheeae? Again maybe, but I would love to shout along Yeah Yeah Yeah with teh chorus. Does Angel have anything to add to their previous works? Definitely as opener The Torch is among their best songs and I hear variation and lots to like throughout the album. Last year Angel treated me on my favorite gig of the year in a very loud Baroeg. Now they are booked for a cruise in Sweden in March (icebreaking probably) so I do hope a return to The Netherlands around that date is in the plans.


Scar Symmetry - The Singularity Phase II: Xenotaph
Relasing a trilogy and than leave nine years between Phase I and Phase II. Not all bands can get away with it, but I think Scar Symmetry can. Simply because this is yet another great one by these Swedes. For those not knowing them it is the band with two vocalists, two guitarists one drummer and no bassist. With Per Nilsson they also have one of those guitar heroes without much recognition in the band. An absolute master, which I could see live last year at Brainstorm too. These Melodic Death Metalling Swedes give us ten songs around 5 minutes, but save the best for last. Almost eight minute lasting Xenotaph makes you want to repeat the album. Several playing turns do help you appreciating the album more as well.


Tailgunner - Guns For Hire
Tailgunner? was that not the opening track on Maiden's No Prayer For The Dying. Yes it was and it gives you straight away a good reference. Tailgunner obviously like their Maiden too, but than the fast and furious kind. OK the album closes with a nine minute epic. The rest of the songs are fast and around the 4 to 5 minute range. Tailgunner are among those British bands (Kaine, Toledo Steel, Monument) who prove that good old Heavy Metal is still in fashion with some. No need to reinvent the wheel, just give us music that should go down a storm live on stage. A nice eighties cover to match the music as well.


Till the Dirt - Outside the Spiral
When this band was announced through a videoclip of their first song I got excited already. A new band build around Kelly Schaefer of Atheist fame. When the bass and drum also have a role in Atheist there are some references here for sure to be found in the music as well. Still there is more as at times Kelly goes clean and reminds me of two genres I don't like all that much grunge and Nu-Metal. Here it works and it adds for variation throughout the album. In general the album is fast though and Death Metal  of the Progressive kind describes the band fine. Again that is like Atheist, but I can imagine that people who like the heavier end of Nevermore will also find much to their liking here. With American bands cancelling tours still being in fashion I don't expect them passing Europe soon, but who knows a summer festival brings them over next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment