Sunday 28 May 2023

Sniester Festival - The Hague, 27 May 2023


Sniester festival exists for some years, but this Saturday evening was the first time I joined the party. The setup is nice with several stages in venues and bars holding guitar based music. No pure metal bands, but lots of heavy work. I visited soem places I had never been before and wondered if these places (Koorenhuis hall, The Grey Space) hold live events more often. I made a route of potential interesting bands, but forgot my print at home. Together with Niels, Ingrid, Hans, Mary, Peter and Marga a nice trip was ha. Being with seven we found that not being allowed to bring drinks to teh street at times messed up plans a bit. It was busy all over resulting in Koorenhuis even running out of beer.


The music was nice with some surprises along the way. I based my going on two bands I saw at Complexity earlier this year. Iron Jinn were good again, a bot mor espacey than I remembered, but perfectly played with lots of smoke again, which seems to be one of their trademarks. 


Hereafter I saw parts or full sets by Headskinner (nice sludge,doomy groove metal) The Monsters ending their set with some all over the place songs. Captain Kaiser, Belgian punk with a great presentation and teh best performance by a vocalist today, mainly during his inbetween song banter filled with dry humor. Irish acoustic band The Scratch showing that acoustic sets can be a party and hold a wall of death. 


The best I saved for last, or the Sniester programming did. Tuskar: I saw them in Patronaat in February, this time they were even better. Pity we arrived late, as this doom duo from England  ruled. The Grey Space reacted accordingly and a warm evening ended in style in steaming hot Grey Space basement.
A nice festival, which I might revisit if competition on the gig calendar allows.


No comments:

Post a Comment