Tuesday 23 May 2023

Exciter, Artillery & Blood Star - Musicon The Hague, 23 May 2023


Metal Monday rarely has been this true for me. What a great day when this package came to Musicon and I had a warming up and cooling down chance with stories of touring lifes. 


The day got metal in the afternoon, when Solitary passed by. They went for a small German tour starting ascension day and on their way to the ferry home they passed by to say hallo, have a lunch and visit the beach, which they had not seen so far. When Solitary hits The Hague the sun always comes out, so I even got sunburned, They loved the package that would play Musicon, but at the last minute work and ferry obligations made it impossible for them to stay overnight. So up to Musicon after a quick dinner with Josie it was.


Arriving in Musicon I heard live music coming of the stage. So I realized I made a foolish mistake by not checking facts. When I read that Blood Star could not make it to Little Devil the day before, I was under the impression that yet another American band had to cancel their tour due to fast rising costs. Not such a crazy thought as it is in fashion nowadays. So when I walked in Blood Star were playing Wild Child, with vocals being actually sung. The last two own songs sounded nice, but three songs were too little for fair judgement. Next time they play The Netherlands I hope to be there in time. Luckily I could make up for my late arrival later that evening.


Next band on the bill were Artillery. These Danish thrashers go down a long way as their first demo was released 40 years ago already. I must admit that I never had any LP or CD by them, but that did not matter much for their show. The lively presentation by the vocalist and tight playing band, made this a set to enjoy. Halfway their Set René asked if he could have a word with me. It turned out that Blood Star had so far a van as best option for sleeping, which he did not like as in advance all was confirmed to be arranged. A quick call to Josie and luckily she supports me supporting bands and they could come home with me, after they would be finished. Back to the hall, Atillery thrashed on with 10.000 Devils. They closed their set with apparently their biggest hit Terror Squad and I liked what I saw on stage by this band.


Headlining the evening were Exciter. They celebrate 40 years of Heavy Metal Maniac on this tour. Last year they also played Musicon and most people I heard agreed that this evening they were even better. This mainly because Dan Beehler was in great vocal shape and you almost feel sorry for the drums, the way he hits them. A setlist build around their classic album, with the remainder also coming out of the eighties was a party to the in general older audience. Well those under 40 did create a pit upon request and I have seen worse Mondays on the atmosphere front. When they were done playing Exciter songs the encore gave us Iron Fist which also turned 40 this year. A great set, by a band on fire and a good mood overall, what's not to like? 


And than I got a small encore, when my bicyle went into Blood Star's van afterwards and we drove home. Closing the evening with some beers and much appreciated borrel nootjes I learned more about Visigoth, Screamer and Madeline's Bday. A nice band they are, who I hope to see for a full set soon again. Meanwhile I shall be proudly wearing my Blood Star T-shirt in a venue near you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment