Wednesday 10 May 2023

Ross the Boss, Sanhedrin & Savage Existence - Baroeg Rotterdam, 9 May 2023


By moonlight we ride, ten thousand side by side. Well the cloudy day hid any moonlight and the ten thousand turned out to be a hundred, but you get the geste. Baroeg was having a party for a reduced army of the immortals to celebrate the music of Manowar in the eighties through Ross the Boss. I don't know why Baroeg was so empty, but the people I know from greater Rotterdam or those who always walk around when eighties metal is on the bill were amost all not there. Maybe WASP celebrating 40 years drifted some to Eindhoven. Anyway Magchiel and I were looking forward to this one. The last time we saw Manowar together was in 1989. This year in February we tried going to Manowar, but I was in Portugal and Magchiel had work blocking the fun, so this was an almost as good alternative for about 22% of the price.


The first band of the evening came from Costa Rica, which might have been the first band from that country I saw. Savage Existence played a thrashy kind of metal, which got me confused at times. I mean during the last song when they started singing I want to be a Rock Star they sounded like Kiss. At other times they went much heavier with vocal acrobatics touching slam death at times. A nice warm-up, but not a band that made me run to the merch stand.


Second band Sanhedrin I saw before in Little Devil. I remember how I liked them at Mario's birthday party and picked up a CD afterwards. This week was the first time I revisited their second album, but live this band stands firm. No bullshit, no constant request for cclapping, just straight forward rock and roll of the heavy kind. Erica Stolz is an example how I like to hear my female vocalists. plain heavy metal without anything fairytale or operatic voices. If you than add guitars and drums of the highest level, we got a top performance of a sympathetic band. I did not pick up there CD this time, but would love to see them returning fast.


And then it was up to Ross the Boss to make us lose our voices. Manowar in the eighties means battle epics of the shout along kind and shouting we did. Baroeg might have been far from packed, the noise after the show told it all. Thoseewho came to see Ross the Boss got what they wanted and more. Main point when playing Manowar songs is that the vocals must be ace. Marc Lopes proved he is no Eric Adams (as who is apart from Eric Adams), but he stood firm throughout the set. Helped by the many chorusses sung by the audience as well. The setlist was a feast of recognition, but one comment I need to make. Manowar ignored Into Glory Ride many times and now Ross the Boss did the same. It remains beyond me why you would skip your best album altogether. Highlight now was a pretty neat version of Battle Hymn, what an alltime classic that remains. Another plus compared to Manowar is that Joey de Maio does not play with Ross. Therefore we get no long bass-solo, nor endless speeches about true or false metal. This was one evening filled with heavy metal and no bullshit. If Ross himself can actually talk, we do not know, but his pointing and smiling were good to watch. Kill with power Die! Die!

No comments:

Post a Comment