Sunday 7 May 2023

O.R.K & LizZard - de Boerderij Zoetermeer, 6 May 2023


Noone understands the music world and how popularities function. Or why do some bands grow big and others remain under so many radars? O.R.K. is way up there on the list of criminally overlooked bands. I guess touring and appearing might help, but looking at tonight's attendance we are not fully there yet. The good thing is that I did go see O.R.K. with Hans and Jonathan, while Ton had to cancel last minute. All three normally have several forms of metal as their go to nusic, So O.R.K. do appeal to heavier fans. By my mistake I did not ask Peter to join me. He is more into alternative guitar rock bands Hardrock stopped for him with UFO and the likes. I am sure he would have loved O.R.K. and probably would appreciate LizZard as well. Long introduction short, why are O.R.K. not playing Pinkpop mainstage at peak hours? I am sure that if known they would appeal to a wide arrange of fans. For now they remian our little secret for those in the know. Their European tour kicked of some days before Prognosis a few weeks ago. That Sunday had for me with Voivod and O.R.K. two bands to look out for most. Unfortunately there was an overlap and I could not walk out of the spell Voivod put over us. So seeing only the last 70% from a busy balcony is hardly a full concert experience. Now in a Boerderij with plenty of space we could get close to the stage and see what was going on during their set. O.R.K. are masters in going from the beautiful to the full out blast, which blows you away. Amazing good vocal performance by LEF and also Carmelo as second voice. The instrumental domination can not be an issue when you have Colin Edwin on Bass and Pat Masteletto on drums. Announcing songs and words of thanks were divided over the band as well. If you than add good songs you understand we had a perfect set. Only point you can raise is that the first two albums were ignored and I would love a Funfair inbetween. With one hour only this was not that strange really. Hoping they keep on growing slowly as a full house would have made the night even  better,


This was a double headline tour and LizZard were going last tonight. I managed to miss this band three times over the past year, but tonight there was no escaping. At Comendatio they played the day I did not see as I opted for Haken, Kandia and Godsticks day. Then they supported Soen during ProgPower weekend, so another miss. At Prognosis I came close, but the packed small hall stopped me from entering while arriving late. So now I could see them and realized I might not have missed all that much after all. Main problem was that O.R.K. had just been brilliant with some very strong vocals. LizZard turned out to have vocals as their weakest link for me. While the main voice of the guitarist is average, the second voice I could hardly hear. The songs were all new to me and I heard some I liked better than others. The acoustic guitar ones made the mood lower as well, while the first song thereafter with the guitar loops was pretty nice. All in all decent music, but not really for me. So time to get our last beer and head home, when the barman charged me a few euros too many. In these bloody cashless days he could not return me the money, so offered two additional beers on the house (well I paid part of them). That meant one randstadrail later home, but pleased with a good evening of music in a far too empty casual Friday Boerderij (thanks for that one Jonathan). 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment