Saturday 25 April 2015

I remember Psychotic Waltz Live


Psychotic Waltz was probably the best touring band in the nineties who kept on coming back to Holland and never stopped amazing us with their great shows. As this year we comemorate 25 years of a Social Grace and 24 years of their Dutch debut at Dynamo Open Air I went through my collection and played all their 4 albums again this week. It struck to me how good all these CD's still are and what a pity it is their new album still is not there. Regarding "A Social Grace" their debut I can be short. Anyone into progmetal simply can not afford not to have this genre defining album. The next three albums also are in my view must-haves with their until today last album Bleeding out of 1996 showing shorter songs, but including my possibly favorite Psychotic Waltz song "Morbid". Psychotic Waltz always stood for heavy double guitars, technical metal, great vocals, intelligent lyrics and emotion.

How good their CD's might have been Psychotic Waltz really was a band to see live. I Remember (pun intended) their first appearance in Holland. Dynamo Open Air 1991 being the opening band. The guy walking on stage with his backstage pass over a T-shirt turned out to be Buddy Lackey when he suddenly grapped the microphone and joined the band. The far to short set was received glorious and the band asking/begging to play one more song at the end which was brutally denied by the organization.  Luckily only few months later they came back and we saw them in Scum in Katwijk (a place they would return to many times) Given their time they just kept on playing and even with only one album they managed to go on for almost two hours. Covers would in the early days come from Black Sabbath in Disturbing the Priest or Ozzy's Diary of a Madman. From then one I believe they toured Europe twice or more after each album release, so loosing count I saw them many times between 1991-1997. Even my interrail holidays made me make a detour to a rockbar in a village near Heidelberg and some years later Vienna to see them abroad as well. They definitely were the live band of the nineties to me.

And the they were on the road again some 4 years ago. Touring with Sympony X and Nevermore I saw them in Amsterdam and their again too short set did show us that they still have it. A year later they played German festivals and Greek shows which I missed and then it got quiet. Following their webpages sometimes news on recording a new album comes up, but I do not know where and what they are at at the moment. So as I 'm laying Down I 'm wondering, Where are all the people now. Just come back for One Night of Calm through The Netherlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment