Thursday 16 February 2023

Soilwork, Kataklysm & Wilderun - LAV Lisboa, Lisbon 15 February 2023


An evening with three different styles of metal justified a trip to Lisbon for us. Well nothing is as simple as it seems, so let me give the long introduction. With Josie's move back to The Netherlands we now are uncertain what to do with the beachhouse she lived in. Cleaning it up and make it look fresh for either sale or rent is definite.so we are spending three weeks in Portugal. Why we decided so fast to come in the winter we shall never know, but the wet cold house floored both of us ten days ago and we reduced our work rate dramatically. But before we flew out I already bought my ticket for our perfect one-day break in Lisbon. In order to make it a win-win we also would pass by some shops we don't like equally in order to get some stuff for the house. So the day started of weird, when we walked around in one of Lisbon's IKEA stores. A nice looking girl who at first seemed normal followed by a guy came up to us, asking if she could say a prayer for us. WTF indeed, but Josie was quicker than me and told her she could if she felt like it, but we would walk on. Knowing me well enough so quickly beat my reply "why, it's a bit late now that we obviously are in Hell already". But with blackouts, glasses and linnen bought we headed for our Airbnb comfortably close to LAV Lisboa. 


The event told us, doors open at 18:00 and first band on at 19:00. In Portugal that does not mean all, so I decided I wanted to be at 18:30 at the hall in order not to lose a possible earlier start. After a bite and drink in a nearby shopping (pint at Eur 2,30 Happy Hour so that made it 1,15) Arriving just before 18:30 I found the hall closed with a small queue outside. Special mention to the half liter cans and liter bottles Superbock, being consumed before entering. The hall looked like an old factory and at 18:45 doors opened to a pleasant space with merch stands and a bar on the left and on teh right side stairs to a balcony area. Unfortunately that area was closed due to a not sold out place. In the end LAV filled up decently for a Wednesday. Especially if you take into account that this week also Electric Callboy, Apocalyptica/Epica and Bullet For My Valentine play Lisbon. So Entering the hall as one of the first I did get my spot at front row on the right, since great things were expected early in the evening. 


Opening band were none other than Wilderun. The band that in 2019 released my second favorite album of the year with Veil of Imagination (only losing to Arch/Matheos). Their progmetal with  steps into extrem and folky metal is fairly brilliant and the songs on that album were amazing. A well deserved spot at progpower followed, but than Covid broke us all. Last year they came back with Epigone and I must admit being slightly underwhelmed at first hearings. It all sounded a bit too calm for my taste and in the endless stream of good releases I maybe did not give it enough time. Playing the album the last week twice it is another hit after all, even if calmer indeed. So when Wilderun came on I was pleased to hear that all sounded as good as I hoped for. The set was opened with something of Veil (was it Tyranny?) The long songtitles of Veil do not tend to stick all that well in an old man's memory. After the long opening track Evan told us we would be treated on some Epigone songs. When Identifier and Passenger came live in full blast over me I realized I was wrong on Epigone after all. What a class songs these are and what an atmospheres and mood swings we got. This slowly turned out to become one hell of a show and in spite of the lots of guitar tuning during their set I also loved their cool way of presentation. When speaking to us in either Portuguese or English, the band came over sympathetic. What was even better is that they saved the best for last: Far From Where Dreams Unfurl. When shouting along So run far leads you into one of the catchiest chorusses of the last  years. So my hopes were high for Wilderun live and they managed to surpass same. As this happens a visit to the merch stand is needed and when asking for a T-shirt the guy selling same asked if I was Dutch.. Yes and so was Paul, this resulting in some talks during the break on the obvious joined history in Dutch metal shows. During a second break Wayne from Wilderun joned in and it seems to me they are nice guys as well, so a band to look out for.


After the first break I would catch another pint and wait for Kataklysm. Now it seemed to me that the bar was not very busy for a metal show. Probably the prices being Ducth venue alike did not help. Remember the ones mentioned above? here a pint would cost you 5 Euro. Fair in Holland, rather expensive in Lisbon. Anyway with my beer in hand I waited for all things Kataklysm. Now I don't own any of their albums, but have heard songs on samplers or online. Live Kataklysm is an all destroying machine and they drew me into their set from start to finish. It seems impossible to me to stand unimpressed and still when Katalysm bring their songs like Guillotine, Where The Enemy Sleeps, Crippled & Broken or As I Slither. A romantic bunch they are, but their Death Metal did create the biggest pit and loudest crowd reaction. I also loved this set full of energy and positive aggression.


Final band were Soilwork from Sweden. They told us this was their first ever clubshow in Lisbon. For a band being around over 25 years it just shows how Portugal is too often ignored on metal tours. I first saw Soilwork some 20 years ago when opening for Annihilator and Nevermore. I only really got into them some five years ago. Their melodic Death Metal has a focus on melody and Bjorn Strid is one of the more versatile voices in the genre. Tonight he came on with two cocks on his shoulders, which after the Eiffel dildo earlier in the evening made it a true macho metal night. The setlist was an overview of many albums and of course one song was dedicated to David Andersson, the guitaris and songwriter the band and the world recently sadly lost. In advance I was curious if I would stand the full show till the end with still limited condition, but Soilwork pulled me through. With additional space for shredding guitars this also was one fine show. So in the end we got three slightly different styles, but also three topshows. I can recommend anyone to go and see this long tour when somewhere in your area. Now I should reconsider 30 April Amstelveen, but that week already five shows are pencilled in and only time will tell therefore.

No comments:

Post a Comment