Sunday 26 February 2023

Complexity Fest - Paatronaat Haarlem, 25 February 2023


Complexity Fest are back three years after the last proper edition February 2020. This would be the weird edition in many respects and admitted I was long time in doubt if I would attend. First weird part was in the line-up. Where was the proper progmetal big name? where was the Tech Death band for spicing matters up and why are half the bands playing duo's? In the end the time scheduel and the two headliners Kayo Dot and Tribulation made me go. Weird headliners, but more on that later. So after checking out most bands on Youtube I decided more or less which bands I wanted to see, with at some overlaps just experimenting what I would like best.


Upon arrival I started wise. Knowing from a clip that Neptunian MM would work more on my nerves than my joy I decided not even entering the main hall. At the lockers I already bumped into Alex, so we went to stage 3 (no longer a bar, but a proper small venue without the poles blocking views. When Alex is around it was no surprise soon Jonathan, Francesca, Marcel and Tom joined, which was nice as company was already sorted, All Progpower regulars would be at stage 3 at 16:30 since Crown Compass is the band best fitting PPE of the day. After a calm intro song (like on the album) they gave us a very good show indeed. A new band they might be, but experienced players with Daniel on vocals known from Textures. On bass there was Robin Zielhorst again. I just checked metal archives and I realized I saw him playing live with the following bands: Cynic, Exivious, Onegodless, Mourn and Our Oceans. The experience of the bandmembers paid out in one hell of a great show. I wondered why they have not been hyped all over Holland yet. As much as I loved their set I decided after half an hour to leave quickly. Here is my line of thought.  Zetra played the bigger Stage 2 and they sounded as at least give it a try. Crown Compass I guess I will see again this year somewhere on tour anyway. Well that did not work out fine. Entering stage 2 I saw the last three minutes of Zetra, not being overly impressed. They left stage after some 35 minutes, while having an hour on the schedule. So quickly back to Crown Compass, who after 40 minutes also called it quits. A running gag that would be repeated throughout the day. Bands not using their full allloted timeslot. 


Anyway on to the main hall and hallo Henriette on the way, while I only met Harry upon leaving the festival in the evening. Stake were on and they play lots of festivals in Holland lately. One energetic performance, with some anger issue around a guitar strap. I liked the bulldozerig wall of sound coming over me, but missed some variation to draw my attention for a full hour. So back to the bar area for some small talks. 


Next to the bar area is the entrance to stage 2 and that is when we heard Iron Jinn already started. Band members with some history in interesting bands, this was only their fifthe gig ever. Well the first great surprise of the day, as they sounded awesome. Stonerish, spacey, jamming and rocking hard they brought us a show with lots of smoke and more important lots of great songs. Their debut album is coming in April. Maybe this is music better heard live, but at least checking them out in due time.


As I now got animated with already two good shows I bumped into Ton and a friend. We headed for the big hall as Author & Punishment were on. Some industrial heaviness was presented and guess what another great show. This is not music I necessarily play at home, but live it sounded and looked nice. The industrial hits with the right hand on a sort of Vertical Iron (sorry can't describe it better). It was a one man show, but as they were a duo also  a guitarist was on stage presenting us the necessary heavy riffs. Very interesting indeed and rather successful.Now I lost Ton and friend while entering the hall too slow, but met Franka during the set. She told me her friend could not make it, but she went anyway even alone. Now that's the spirit and I told her we would hop halls together as I would bump into people again anyway. 


Next double line-up would be a choice between Aiming for Enrike and Tuskar. We started at Aiming, but they missed us aiming with an overdose of electronical softness. Stage 3 had Tuskar and that was much more to my taste. A heavy wall of sound duo full of energy. Turned out that in spite of the unknown names, the festival line-up was shaping into a day of lots to love anyway. 


Now that Tuskar finished, the first band I was properly looking out for was preparing themselves on the main stage. Kayo Dot soundchecking. Well that took long, so we were off for a late start. This day they would play their debut album Choirs of the Eye in full.  Now Kayo Dot are hard to describe as they change styles over albums. I loved their 2021 release Moss Grew... The album played tonight I don't own, but I listened to it in advance a few times. Ok, but calm. In fact I liked the predecessor band Maudlin Of The Well even better, as heavier. When the band finally started it turned out they were very calm indeed, It was hard to grasp for many, with the lack of speed and lots of instruments stepping in and out of their sound. I was a bit on the fence Yes it is impressive at times and third song The Manifold Curiosity being the standout track with a build-up to some heaviness. The band can play, but it was too hard for most as the hall got emptier by the minute. Ending with a small group of open minded sort of followers. I was wandering what would Rune think of this as he was dearly missed. For me it was interesting, but I would not go buy a ticket if they play this album again on a solo show. Than again if they play Moss Grew.... I probably will go see them again. 


After Kayo Dot my program told me a good moment to grab some food. Unfortunately the food stand was calling it quits when I arrived packing up and go. So the Complexity beers were to feed me over the day after all. Nice beer by the way. A next choice was first Birds in a Row at Stage 2. They sounded to me like a heavier britpop, but from where we stood it was not catching and we went to see Youff in an empty stage 3. Now this vocalist was of an acquired taste. Let me put it different. I woudl not be afraid to go onstage after him at this year's PPE karaoke. The band on the other hand had lots of energy, something we just missed at Kayo Dot.


Then it was already time for my final band of the day. While most people I knew would stay over in Haarlem I needed to catch a train home. Tribulation would close the festival for me and musically the only band I expected to match Crown Compass my day openers. I saw Tribulation live before when they toured their masterpiece The Children of the Night. Their Gothic rock with lots of great guitars and black metal vocals works very well for me. I was looking out for an energetic highlight closing my day and got that only partially. Not because of the band, they were awesome. It was the audience that surprised me. First on it's small numbers and second by their obvious lack of knowledge of this band and their material. In advance I thought challenging looking Tribulation would be a perfect match for a festival like Complexity, turmned out I was wrong. So a half empty hall enjoyed, what for me would be the best show of the night. In the end I had a great day out in Haarlem. So thanks to Complecxity and it's organizers. I guess they learned some lessons as while the headliners pulled me in, they were not for many. The balcony was closed as well for that reason. Maybe a big progmetal name and a big tech death band will help getting more people in. The atmosphere was great again and the festival beer went down fine. Curious who they will book for 2024, as I probably will be back again.


No comments:

Post a Comment