Saturday 24 September 2022

Wound Collector, Celesterre & Façade - Musicon The Hague, 23 September 2022


It was the year 2020 and Corona forced Musicon to make their shows small all seated affairs. Due to my Portugal time I managed to attend only one, but heard from friends feedback on the shows. One band that apparently overwhelmed everyone in were Wound Collector from Belgium. They play death metal of the slightly technical kind, with as one of the main solo instruments a saxophone. Now I often read reviews by people stating how they hate all wind instruments blended in metal. Well to those people I can now say, why don't you go and see Wound Collector play live and I wonder if you won't be cured from that limitation. But before the Wound Collector party started we were treated on two supports.


Façade were the first band on stage and they started at 20:00. I was still in pre-corona modus when starting at 20:00 meant doors and bands would play between 21:00-24:00. So offering Marko a coffee when he passed home made us miss the first ten minutes. I think I only saw two songs now as Façade play long doom/death tracks. During the final song I was initially wondering why they brought three guitarists. This was until towards the end the long building song did burst into an explosion of heavyness which meant the first highlight of the evening. I want to see them again for a full set and have more time in the foreseeable future to play new music. Good band they seemed to be.


Celesterre are from The Hague and I did see them a few times live some years ago. I thought they split up by now as I didn't see their name passing by in recent years. Probably a mix of covid and me spending too much time in Portugal. Anyway when they started they sounded different to me, than what I recalled. I thought of them in the black folk corner with their nature worried lyrics. This evening I heard a fair share of heavy and power metal blended in as well. Turns out they released a new album named Earth in June this year. I thought their music hard to pinpoint, but it had some work to please the prog man in me as well. Introducing songs in an original way by declaring poems it was a different show, not that easy to grasp when first hearing all. As their album is just released I expect to see them more often in the near future.


After rebuilding the full stage Wound Collector came on. The funny shaped guitars made me hope that their death metal was more towards the tech side and it was indeed, with of course a main role for the saxophone. When playing saxophone possible needed grunts were swapped to the guitarist. Marko asked afterwards if he had said too much and he did not. A very entertaining set they played where the mix worked out fine and new and second guitarist Alfonso seemed at ease during his first show in The Netherlands as well. With songtitles like War and Slaughter in Your Holy Name, Crucifixtion to the Inverted Cross and No God Without Terror they showed their hearts are at the right place too. I highly enjoyed their set from start to finish and by the looks of it I was not the only one. The queue at the merch table afterwards said enough in that respect. I also got the package of Depravity CD and Tee and hope for a return after their new album has been released. Maybe next time this band deserves a spot at Kaderock giving them a chance to get a few hundred people turned into fan. Next week it is Progpower weekend for me and even there they would not be fully out of place I guess. Great band go and see them if you are around and Loud & Heavy thank you for presenting Wound Collector to me this evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment