Tuesday 20 September 2022

Bridear - Musicon The Hague, 19 September 2022


A Monday night in autumn and Musicon did fill reasonably well for a band I never heard of before. Marko going and Jean Paul recommending made me decide to opt for live music above home sitting this evening. And starting with the end, a night well spent as Bridear turned out to be very entertaining on stage. For those (and I assume many) who also never heard of them before either, Bridear are a Japanese all female metal outfit. Metal Archives tells us they are playing Power Metal, Metalcore. I did hear bits of Helloween passing by at times indeed. Metalcore I don't know any references, but they had the occassional break. Some poprock got in the mix as well, as all songs were very asy on the ears at first hearing.  When checking the band out on Youtube I was worried about the vocals, as they did sound very light to me. Live this turned out to be less of a problem, also as you simply had to love Kimi with her smiles and asking us to get some merch through google translate on her phone. The fact that you can't understand their English is no problem, as that was no issue with Loudness either some 38 years ago.


Now I don't know any of their music, so basically my review stops here. Entertaining live, mostly due to their entusiasm and laughing on stage. Can I add some critical notes as well? Of courseI can like the grunts coming from a a tape added very little to me with this music. The cliches were all over their show and playbacking the background choirs should be trained a bit better. But what counted was the overall atmosphere and I guess everyone in enjoyed watching this set. No I did not go to the merch stand afterwards to buy myself some Bridear action figures. Those were available next to pictures and T-shirts, but strangely enough no CD's. Maybe their fanbase is so young that noone buys CD's anymore. Talking about the fanbase, as a regular in Musicon when heavy music is on I did recognize very few faces from the around 90 people present tonight. Let's hope these new visitors find their way back to Musicon more often and shall visit Wound Collector on Friday as well. This was a Monday night well spent, which most called funny afterwards. If that is a good sign depends on your level of cynism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment