Thursday 29 September 2022

Compass - Figure of Speechless - Karcius - Kings of Mercia - Soilwork - Speaking to Stones - Trial


Progpower Weekend. Some already arrived in Baarlo, I will only tomorrow. That does not stop me to suggest herewith seven bands that all would make Progpower an even better place.


Compass - Theory of Tides
Two years ago Compass made a positive arrival with their album Our Time on Earth. Now they are back with a concept album around the life of Galileo. Compass is the band where Steve Newmann steps away from his melodic rock band and goes more proggy. Still very accessible and melodic, this is just what you expect by now. Mix some good melodic hardrock and make it longer and more progressive in the songs. If you like both styles (like me) you love this mix.




Figure of Speechless - Tunnel at the End of the Light
Glen McMaster, I also did not hear of him before. An Australian songwriter guitarist who invited the following names for his album. Ray Alder, Ron Bumblefoot Thal, Derek Sherinian, Tony Franklin and Brian Tichy. All don't need any further introduction. The best news is that this album is as good as the names make you hope for. For me Ray Alder can do no wrong, but here the songs definitely help him shine. The surprise in progmetal this year? possibly so, must hear album.




Karcius - Grey, White, Silver, Yellow & Gold
This is the sixth Karcius album since 2004 and I had never heard of them. A tip from Andy on SFTW made me check them out. At Prog Archives they are filed under jazz rock/fusion, well I don't hear much of that. This album is either progmetal light or heavy progrock. Great songs, and excellent playing make it a joy of a ride through all those colours. Especially those who like bands like Kingcrow or Arena should hear this album. 





Kings of Mercia - Kings of Mercia
Jim Matheos and Steve Overland working together resulting in this self ttled debut album. Melodic hard rock to Jim Matheos probably, prog metalish for Steve Overland (FM) I guess. Completed by Joey Vera and Simon Phillips this band gives us one of the better melodic hardrock albums of recent times. Might need to hear through headphones to discover even more. Very pleasant and returning often in my CD player I guess. One tip: don't read the Angry Metal Guy review as you will hear something you can't unhear. Second tip: Next time don't print orange lyrics on blue pages as my reading glasses need a sudden upgrade.What a year for thsoe who feared a total Fates Warning absence.


Soilwork - Overgivenheten
I bought this album some weeks after the release due to being abroad. After it's release we lost David Anderson the main songwriter on this album, before I heard it. So it is impossoble to go through the booklet and not get emotional when his picture appears next to the lyrics Death, I Hear You Calling. Such a loss as Soilwork keep on getting better to me. For the melodic death metal purists they drifted too far away probably, for me the clean vocals, Night Flight Orchestra melodies next to the heavy Soilwork side work perfectly. This album should be appreciated by many who like any form of metal.



Speaking to Stones - (In)human Error
Speaking to Stones is a band of surprises, or a project by Tony M. Vinci. Their self titled debut album in 2006 was a hit for me and then they disappeared. Six years later Elements gave us five (very) long songs and off they went. Now ten years later we get treated on (in)human error. Again a fine progmetal album with a good mix of heavyness and melody. In the Netherlands released on No Dust, so let them give us more top level prog. Only the vocals sound to me a bit low or hidden in the mix. Now already curious what 2035 will bring us by this band.



Trial - Feed the Fire
The album I was looking out for most is the new Trial one. Vessel made it to my album of the year 2015. Motherless in 2017 was as good and when I saw them live they were wonderful. And then they lost vocalist Linus Johansson an important factor in my love for this band. New vocalist Arthur Andersson was introduced on covers single Sisters of the Moon / Die Young (bonus added here) . That was a relief as all sounded fine. Now we have a full album of new songs and Trial do it again. Their mix of heavy metal with prog and doom influences, make them one of my favorites.. Unfortunately far too few people have discovered the beauty of Trial, so maybe I should invite them over one day. Definitely check them out as their heavy metal offers just a bit more. Pleased to have them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment