Monday 21 October 2019

The Quill & Nebula - Musicon The Hague, 20 October 2019


The Quill in Musicon, that is not a first. Actually they tend to pass Musicon on almost every tour. This time they came as support of Nebula. Aparantly a big name in Stoner, but unknown to me. So on a Sunday afternoon we gathered 8 from our app group to visit Musicon and enjoy some Quill on a rainy Sunday. When they started playing I know what I like most about them. They play honest stoner rock. Meaning what you see is what you get. Nowadays with many bands you have to guess how much is coming from tape and at times that is remarkably much. No such thing with the Quill, when a spacy sound is created you see the bassist using his pedal. Together with this real live playing their songs are good, so nothing to complain. Well maybe the jamming with Black Sabbath bits blended in lasted a bit long, but that is looking for issues really. A nice hour of the Quill yet again and the long new song sounded promising.


Nebula might be big in stoner land, in Musicon it seemed to me most people came to see The Quill. I gave them a fair chance and quite liked their show. Opening song reminded me of Warrior Soul a bit with the raw Rock and Roll vibe. Later on I heard some Hendrix like sounds and in general the playing was fast. Drummer was a hero and their presentation was kind of special. Inbetween songs the vocalist might have said some lines, but never in the microphone. So basically we had no clue what he was on about. The encore was interesting as well, when same guy left the stage and the other two decided to stay. All in all a nice show and one song close to the end started extremely like Diamond Head's Am I Evil, so that was their best song I thought. Early Sunday show, but still we stayed late and the mood was good and better. Hello Monday morning for some I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment