Metal Experience Fest is the gathering of metal fans from Zuid Holland in Nobel, originally celebrating the 50th Birthdays of Koen, Eus and Erik. Erik no longer among us was remembered by a picture on the wall. Musically I maybe should have gone to Nijmegen, to see Anciiients for the third time in two months, but I opted for the social side of festivals and headed for Nobel knowing I might spend as much time in the lobby as in the hall.
Opening band in a not yet very busy Nobel were Wild Blaze from Eindhoven. Four girls playing glam metal, which was a bit of an outsider today. I remember the eighties or early nineties when bands like Vixen and Phantom Blue impressed me musically and by their looks. Being old now I saw four girls who could date Tiago, playing songs I don't know. That is apart from All We Are, but than without the German accent.
Mandator are a speed metal band from The Netherlands who released two albums in the late eighties. I never saw them live back in the day. This evening it turned out I missed out in the past. They gave us a nice thrashy show that went down well, with the now better filled hall. No idea if they are going to release a new album ever, but when playing in the area I shall revisit their set. Good band.
Next on were Warfield from Germany. A thrashband from this century. Now Tiago lives in Leiden and we had not seen each other for a while. As he could not meet me before the festival started, I agreed to meet him for a falafel during the set of Warfield. Result I only saw the last two songs by Warfield, but got fully updated on Tiago's life again.
My headliner of the day would be the next band Beast, I saw them a few times before including in Nobel eight years ago. I do like their presentation of Death Metal and today the show again was fine. Ok a wall of death or sitting down, we might have seen many times before, but celebrating Danish Christmas in the middle of a pit was funny to see. Musically they stood as a house again and this for me is a very fine live band. I shall see them again next time around.
Headliners were Destruction, one of the German big four in thrash. Now I never was deeply rooted in the german thrash metal scene, but saw Destruction a few times before. They do deliver a top metal show and professionally played thrash metal always goes down well. Still with a small cold lurking around the corner I called it quits halfway their set and took a train home. One fine evening of metal in Nobel, with lots of familiar faces to chat with. Bring on #8.






No comments:
Post a Comment