Monday 22 August 2022

Angel, Picture & White Heat - Baroeg Rotterdam, 21 August 2022


Let me start positive with a message to the sound police. Often I hear people commenting on Baroeg that the sound is poor. and you are watching poles instead of the stage. Well today all was bliss and we got treated on one of the best sounds I heard in a long time. This on a volume that allowed me to take out my earplugs and fully enjoy Angel live. But before it was so far I had a long day before me.


I woke up in a smelly hotel in Eindhoven, enjoying Dynamo Metalfest the day before. Since Angel tops Kreator/Lamb of God for me, I would be heading toward Baroeg. Now I also checked cycling times the night before as Breda would be hosting La Vuelta, even if not being very Spanish. So my stop between Eindhoven and Rotterdam was sorted and I could speak cycling with some older fans for over an hour. What a nice change in this city in party mood, with live music and outside bars all over the place. Than training on to Rotterdam Lombardijen and with the sun out drinks were had in and outside of de Baroeg.


The first band of the day were White Heat from Belgium.I only knew their name and bandlogo from the eighties, so curious to see what would be coming our way. Turned out they played somewhere between heavy metal and hard rock with music mostly being straightforward. They did get a very good reaction from the crowd for an opening band and deserved same, by their enthussiastic presentation. For me not really a band to hit the merch stand for.


Next on were Picture and I saw them last, just before corona hit us. This time vocalist would be Peter Strykes and I like his voice slightly better. I never was fully into Picture, but you know the hits and hearing Eternal Dark or Bombers did sound fine again, even if watching from close to the bar. Also they got a good audience reaction, which made me wonder if the (almost?) sold out Baroeg woud be made up by Picture fans and not so much Angel ones. 


Well that last question was answered soon when Angel hit the stage. Rarely did I see a crowd in Baroeg singing along so loud and cheering that deafening inbetween songs. This also as most bands I see in Baroeg are not for singing along. Well Angel is to me and while writing this my voice is still gone to other places/ Probably the lighter side as Angel are that band in white  and their music is of the lighter and melodic side as well. Three years ago I saw Angel for the first time at Golden Age in Luik. Than they seemed to be in a bad mood and the show ended fast. This evening all would be different as the band obviously were enjoying themselves and the very loud response they got from the crowd. During Picture I saw the band entering through the audience and definitely wondering by themselves where the hell they had arrived. On stage that was al gone and we simply got treated on a wild ride through their best songs. Their last album Risen (get it if you don't know it) was represented by We Were the Wild. Further we jumped from one highlight to the next. For those who think Angel is Tower and Tower is Angel, think again. Of course the encore and a highlight, but what to think of The Fortune, On The Rocks or an extended version of Feelin'Right. Oh No! Dont Go! Don't Leave Me Lonely! that is where I started losing my voice. It was a bliss from start to finish and I saw defintely one of the best shows of the year (if not the best). Was there nothinng to complain then? No not on show, band or audience. On the merch side we were unlucky as Golden Age in Luik the night before bought most. So when after some internal questioning I decided to get their pricy but awesome white baseball shirt it turned out only Medium was left. Well that size went out my door when Live Without a Net was released. Big thanks to Rotterdam Rocks for getting Angel to Baroeg as I loved every minute of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment