Tuesday 30 August 2022

A-Z - Birth - Chaos Frame - Oceans of Slumber - Porcupine Tree - Toxik - Fates Warning


Progstravaganza!! Lots of Prog you simply must hear in all kind of directions of the progspectre.


A-Z - A-Z
A-Z or Alder -Zonder and Apple-Zebra on the artwork throughout the booklet. This one was announced some time ago and possibly the one I was looking out for most. Mark Zonder founded this band and invited Ray Alder on vocals. So suddenly we speak classic era Fates Warning. Together with the announcement came a warning for more accessible music and not overly proggy. Well if the rest of the band than is made up by Philip Bynoe, Vivien Lalu and Joop Wolters I can't but help hoping for prog indeed. And to an extent that is what we get. Even if indeed packed in accessible songs this turned out to be one hell of an album. I don't know if at the end of the year this will be my favorite 2022 CD, but I do know I probably will have played it most of all my albums. This music is for all moments really. I can enjoy this with headphones on, reading along with the lyrics from the great booklet or I can play it on the background. Anyone into more single orientated Fates Warning should love this and both Alder and Zonder show why they are among the best. Must buy album.


Birth - Born
I don't know where I first heard of this album, but when tipped I knew I should check them out. Turns out that this CD ticks all the boxes for feeding my oldschool prog needs. Psychedelic at times, mostly instrumental with when sung a voice suiting the music. For those missing their healthy dose of retro prog, Birth might be the solution. Apparently some members come from Astra, but I don't own any music of that band. In the category Sunday morning waking up slowly, this album is among the best of the year. looking at the artwork it is no surprise that the bundles with T-shirt and Totebag sold out fast. 


Chaos Frame - Entropy
This album alone justifes my subscription to Aardschok. Somehow I never bumped into this album until Aardschok reviewed it very positive and asked Rene to put them on ProgPower Europe. Well afer hearing the album I can't agree more. Now that PPE seems to be open to more progrock than ever, a band making perfect oldschool powerprogmetal as we loved it in the nineties is more than welcome. Great singer and a good band giving us eight songs that are easy on the ears, yet heavy and metal enough. I assume I am not the only one alost missing them, so check this highly recommended album out.


Oceans of Slumber - Starlight and Ash
I am with Oceans of Slumber since the very beginning and rated their debut Aetherial with Ronnie Gates on vocals my favorite album of 2013. Than came Cammie and over the years the sound of the band changed. So far, that this new album can't be called a metal album any longer. But don't be scared, it still all sounds heavy, just very different from what we were used to. Melancholic, moody and doomy they sound. Apart from the voice of Cammie (now Beverly) the drums of bandleader Dobber Beverly also are very present even when the music is calm. I assume his needs to go aggressive are used in other bands like Malignant Altar or Necrofier. No matter the change in style over albums Oceans of Slumber always manago to win me over with their last album. This time no exception.


Porcupine Tree - Closure/Contiinuation
If there was any surprising announcement in prog over the past years, it must have been the return of Porcupine Tree. Announcing an album and a tour and en masse we fell again for the band. So I did not make the mistake of putting expectations too high, as what would be the outcome after a long absence really? Turned out that Closure/Continuation is an OK album. The typical sound of Porcupine Tree is back and they move between heavier bits and more poppy prog songs. Probably I like their poppy side better (Of the new Day). I think it is a pity that Colin Edwin was not invited to the new party, but I count his revenge might be sweet when the new O.R.k. album comes out. So yes I am pleased they are back and I do like the album.  Not among their best and while not paying attention I found that I bought the 7 song album, while there is a special edition with ten songs. Negative points for that.


Toxik - Dis Morta
While the progressive rock community might have been anxious about the return of Porcupine Tree, the progressive thrash metal fans among us were happy with the new album to be coming by Toxik. Dis Morta is as good as we hoped for based upon recent tours with the current line-up and the songs we heard on Youtube or the live set in advance. I believe this might be their strongest line-up, as especially live the adding of Dutch guitarist  Eric van Druten, makes them more cohesive on stage. Toxik stilll write a hectic sort of thrash and anyone not knowing the band might be overwhelmed during live shows. For the fans there is so much to love again and I believe Dis Morta in time will be standing proudly next to eighties classics World Circus and Think This. At times (Feeding Frenzy or Hyper Reality) I am reminded of Watchtower which to me is a positve thing. Ron Iglesias proved on stage already to be the right frontman and now he solidates his status on album. Waiting for a tour in November, please come early in the month, when I'm still around. Toxik third classic made, check.


Fates Warning - Destination Onward
No not a new album, but a book with the biography of the band by Jeff Wagner. Anyone knowing his book Mean Deviation which tells the story of Progressive Metal realized he knows how to tell a history in a pleasant way. Learning new facts all throughout the book. Side effect is that you will replay lots of Fates Warning, as you want to hear what you just read about. Do I have to review my ranking in hindsight? No not really as that is always a picture of the moment. Anyone who likes reading and prog (which means you if you read up to here)  should get this book. Fates Warning rules and Jeff Wagner is a pretty decent writer.







No comments:

Post a Comment