Monday 31 May 2021

Michael Schenker Ranking the albums

 


Over the past Corona year I have been completing several of my collections of heroes from my youth. For unknown reasons I did not do so for Michael Schenker. This weekend made me realize that I need to look out for several of his missing albums on future metal markets or just the internet. The albums I will have to get are from several of his era's: McAuley Schenker - M.S.G., MSG - Written in the Sand, Temple of Rock - Bridge the Gap, Fest - Revelation. Anyway I still have 13 albums to rank which I do have and played over the past days. So my favorites for these are ranked as follows:
13. Adventures of the Imagination
Somehow for an instrumental album I expected more from the man who gave me the best instrumentals ever written during his early MSG years. Even Resurrection held in Salvation an instrumental topping all on this album. Not questioning quality here, just songs.
12. In the Midst of Beauty
The most disappointing album, especially if you look at the line-up. All those eighties names, could not make the eighties return. The songs lacked class of the old times and I was very sick missing live shows, to help getting them more alive.
11. Gipsy Lady
Acoustic albums can never compete with full band performances . The biggest plus here was that the songs fitted Gary Barden's voice much better. Still acoustic, therefore not for every moment
10. Immortal
For now I kept this album low, as I did not play it enough yet. Some very promising songs on it, but why change to three new singers again?
9. Tales of Rock 'n' Roll
19 songs in 57 minutes sounds like a rush. If this album would have twelve songs and several of them extended and ended properly this might have been higher up. Several ideas are very good and the seven vocalists all add something to the party.
8. Save Yourself
The second McAuley Scheker album had some lesser songs on it. I liked this hair-metal era of the band, but also no touring this time made it not his best. Band pictures on the cover remain hilarious, I mean Schenker in a white social shirt and hair fohned is funny, Flying V in hand or not.
7. Spirit on a Mission
Doogie White's great voice gives this album an extra. Strong band and good songs, make this one that comes closer to the golden years. Good live shows during those days too, even if too much Scorpions played.
6. Resurrection
Surprisingly strong album, based upon the very good songs. I would not expect all vocalists to sing that well. Live it seemed they were having such a good time on stage and ego's were put aside. Salvation an instrumental of the top class as well.
5. Perfect Timing
The first album with McAuley. The style changed, but not as much as the hair did. Great songs make up this album and McAuley can sing. Following fashion of the day maybe, but with a great result.
4. Built to Destroy
This album received way too much critics at the time of release. For me only just below the top three. It did help that my first ever MSG live show came after this album. Some of the songs should be in a best of set any day.
Now before going to the top three I have to state that it must have been the hardest choice so far. I struggled ranking top three albums for Fates Warning, Savatage, Whitesnake, Dream Theater or Angel's top two. In this case, they really all three are equally good and have their own charm. I therefore can only rank based upon re-playing this weekend.
3. Michael Schenker Group
This LP is among the best debut albums ever. Only classics. I put it on three since it holds most songs we heard over and over during live shows, so hardly any o yeah that one experience. Into the Arena and Lost Horizons are among his best songs ever.
2. Assault Attack
Same classic status, different vocalist. I only did not put this on one, as I consider Gary Barden the voice of the golden years. Graham Bonnett maybe delivering the best performance of his career, helped by eight killer songs (well seven one is instrumental) Everythig is right about this album.
1. MSG
The second LP, was the first one I got and is also classic from start to finish. For some reason songs like Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, On and On and But I Want More, hardly appear in live sets nowadays. This album has the best line-up ever for MSG with Glen, Raymond, Powell, Barden and Schenker. Somehow I feel it does not get the same credit as my number two and three do, so I put it on one. Schenker could even afford to not put an instrumental classic on this one.
Well that was a great ride along 40 years of MSG in it's several formats. Anyone new to the band should look for the box The Chrysalis Years. It holds my top four, plus two live albums and some unreleased live at the Manchester Apollo songs. Schenker rulez indeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment