Monday 31 May 2021

Angel ranking the albums

 


So after one weekend of many old albums it's time to rank them in order of favorites. Replaying them all did not really change my opinion from what I expected in advance, but sometimes I will explain a position. Going through these albums does make you wonder, why Angel never became as big in record sales as bands like Cheap Trick, Styx, REO Speedwagon or even Queen and the likes. Not to mention Kiss a band they often were compaerd with being the white version of black dressed Kiss. I never had anything with Kiss and even Angel in poppy mood outshines Kiss for me any day. The fact the Gregg Giuffria left the band is a pity as I personally believe that both Giuffria and thereafter House of Lords released albums, that were better classy follow ups with some Angel influences still blended in. I do not include any of those in the ranking, but kept the solo albums I mentioned this weekend in the ranking. So counting down 9 albums.
9. Sinful
If I would have been a fan in the seventies the disappointment probably would have been even bigger. Now just their most poppy album to me, with less memorable songs.
8. Punky Meadows - Fallen Angel
This solo album was not bad, but missed the vocals and was a bit softer than I hoped for. A long album too, which does have its effect on attention spans.
7. Dimino - Old Habits Die Hard
The voice of Angel going solo. This was one hell of a positive surprise to me. Ranking it number three in my end of year list 2015 and only number seven here shows how big Angel are to me. Great album.
6. In the Beginning
Musically this album deserves maybe to up some places, but I put it here as it is far from the traditioal Angel sound. If I would rank the Led Zeppelin albums it would end up higher. Still a very good album to play every now and then and I never understood the critics it received.
5. Risen
A worthy comeback indeed, but missing the nostalgy factor my top four has. Even if discovering them in the eighties, playing all their albums Over and Over (pun) did add to my appreciation levels years later. Very diverse respecting all sides of Angel
4. On Earth As It Is In Heaven
Album number three where they decided to leave the proggy path. Still this one had several great songs on it like Can You Feel It and On The Rocks. What if they would have decided at the time to go more proggy and metal instead? probably the next Rush, but we shall never know
3. White Hot
Their fourth album continuing the route of their pre-decessor. This one to me has a few more must hear Angel classics on it like Don't Leave Me Lonely, Got Love If You Want It and Hold Me, Squeeze Me. All songs much more rocking than their titles would make you expect.
2. Helluva Band
This one is maybe as good as my number one. Friday a few people mentioned to play Angel again. I am sure they meant the first two albums. It was the best era of Angel really, even if not sales-wise. Pressure Point shows how heavy they could go these early days and The Fortune should have been an all time classic.
1. Angel
The self titled debut album holds eight songs all having their charm. The Tower is their band defining song, but Long Time, Broken Dreams or Sunday Morning are hidden gems as well. How is it possible that this brilliant debut did not catapult them straight to super stardom? One of the wonders in pop music for always.
So I end with a small clip form The Fortune, which I found on Youtube. It is shot at the Golden Age Rock festival which I attended.
If it shows anything it is, that Angel are live still a band to travel long distance for, even if the sound here is messy. Angel the band that makes you think what could and should have been.
Finally it became clear to me that Angel must be close to the weather Gods. This weekend for the first time in two years The Netherlands turned all white covered in snow. Call it coincidence if you like. Luckily just a bit and all left already, so time for a jog on a Sunday Morning now.




No comments:

Post a Comment