Armored Saint back in The Netherlands, So I had to be there obviously. The last times I saw them live, they always managed to enter my top gigs of the year list. Why? because the Saint never disappoints. OK one minor disappointment upon arrival, their very nice white Tees were sold out in larger sizes. Due to an anniversary Hans and Mary went to see te band in Essen already (combining with Crimson Glory and Wings of Steel, so what a midweek) and I ended going with Magchiel. Inside de Boerderij I knew I would bump into some friends as Musicon moved the Mortal Sin show to Monday in order not to collide with this show. Still de Boerderij could have filled up more, but good music is not always defining audience sizes. Well I was there and looking forward to yet another highlight of the year.
Opening band tonight were After All from Belgium. Now I saw them before at Alcatraz years ago, when it was still held indoors and at a parking stage. In Musicon and at Metal Experience Fest I was not around, so I was curious about their set. I remembered a bald vocalist, who now either suddenly grew long hair or was substituted over the past decade plus. Their set was pretty fine and their style of metal comes close to eighties US metal, so a fine band they are indeed. I might want to check out their next album as the new song sounded promising.
But in reality I was looking forward to Armored Saint as from entering de Boerderij, so let the Saint conquer once again. Well they did. Opening with a new song Close to the Bone of their latest Emotion Factory Reset it already started fine, which only improved with the March of the Saint thereafter. I can start mentioning highlights, but the overview of their discography was fine from start to finish. The band was pleased when the audience continued singing along with the guitars after Creepy Feelings finished (a first this tour) and I must say even if not packed, de Boerderij rarely looked this lively before. This all because Armored Saint know how to entertain, without taking themselves all too serious. Aftermath had John Bush singing from the hall again and when I cycled home from the station tonight I could not stop singing Last Train Home, even if riding a bicycle. Maybe becaiuse it is among my five favourite songs ever? Thank you Armored Saint for doing everything right again tonight. This show was crammed inbetween Alcatraz and Keep it True Legends. Next year Alcatraz confirmed John Bush playing his Anthrax years. If like the US shows this year that means a support of Category 7, count me in please for a Dutch show. Metal as it was meant to sound is what we got tonight and I realized once again why I prefer smaller venues over huge halls. And thanks Magchiel for the awkward pic.



No comments:
Post a Comment