Dutch Prog Matinee was it called and three to me unknow bands came to Musicon. Now I was worried for it being a Sunday afternoon show during school holidays. Apart from that Musicon does not really program a lot of prog anyway. So there I went supporting the venue and the prog scene, being surprised that some 30-40 people showed up. No faces I recognized from Musicon, but opening new markets makes sense always. Today's beers came in plastic cups, as last night's national grunting championship had a fuller house. Opening band were Proxima Flare. Their prog was metal light and moody. At times making me think of A Liquid Landscape, especially on the moody parts. They were pleased with their T-shirts and stickers. Me not being a cat-man not so much impressed. Their presentation was comfortable, but they did not mention song titles. I liked the last two songs best, when the metal bit and guitar soloing increased somewhat.
Next band were called Hurryland. With a name like that I hoped for some speedmetal blended with their progmetal. Well I hoped in vain, as they mixed more jazz with progmetal. Actually instrumentally a very strong band, but with no bass on stage I heard loops and tapes I guess throughout their set. The keyboardist played his first gig with the band, so looking a bit uncomfortable with headphones on, should be forgivven. I actually liked the vocalist's voice and considered the three songs where she sang stronger than the three instrumentals. When she sang and the band played their technical bits I thought of District 97. Nice band, even if their presentation has space to evolve a bit.
Last band were Artemis from Delft. They played more hardrock, than anything prog really. The band was fine, but the voice did not click with me, being a bit over the top at times. At a certain moment did he also ask for a circle pit? well that did not happen. It was sounding fine, but after some songs I decided to go home to watch the tour de France. Turned out that when I was on my bicycle, Vingegaard fell off his. That ended the last bit of tension of this tour, but I can still enjoy the stages. Finally musically I should have gone to Breda today to see Ruthless and Mindwars in Sounddog. But I preferred staying close to home and see some sports in the afternoon and evening. Wednesday it is time for metal in Brabant. Next Prog must attend do in Musicon is in November when Changeling comes over bringing Obsidian Tide and Hyla along.



No comments:
Post a Comment