Sunday 13 October 2024

Loud & Heavy Fest - Musicon The Hague, 12 October 2024


Saturday 12 October and I was in doubt. Lots of great options on the live front. Y&T 50 sold out, Threshold going through their career and Kamelot, well no real option to me. So in the end I opted for Musicon as support your local scene and Ralf, plus Threshold having a substitute vocalist.I could also say I choose for gezellig, but musically there was a wide variation at the heavier end. Therefore when Marko picked me up at home we were looking forward to  a good day in Musicon yet again where White Room Reviews were celebrating 15 years of existence. 


First band were Nox aeterna from Spijkenisse. They exist over 20 years, but I never saw them before. Well that was a miss as their melodeath sounded pretty fine and at the end of the day I was not the only one mentioning them among the highlights of the day. A promising start to say the least.


And then it was time for the first gig by Scream Bloody Death. Now I first must admit that Death came too early in time for me. When they broke through I wanted my vocalists to sound like Dio, Tate, Dickinson, Midnight and the likes. I only started accepted Death metal aroud the change of the century. By Death I only hold their Human album a sI loved Cynic and picked that one up for the Sean and Paul participation. Further I am not the biggest fan of cover and tribute bands, but than I am more thinking of the zillionth band covering Genesis, Floyd, Led Zep or so. This was different as Death is not covered often and with me not knowing their material through and through I could not tell if any mistakes occured or vocals went off pitch. What I could tell is that this was just a very good band were all instruments shone and  guitar solos were swapped in equal terms. Headed by Ben who is mr Florida Death Metal in The Hague anyway. Finally when your wife rules the pit facepainted in her own blood (not all that voluntary) the word dedication comes to mind. A very fine show that was appreciated by all in Musicon. Maybe I should dive into Death history after all.


Next on where Ten Ton John the other band drawing a crowd of friends and family making Musicon nicely packed this day. I saw them before during the all seated corona shows.At the time I had trouble in describing them. Now I still do, but groove comes closest. I could see that made some mileage on stage since as they improved to me. Lively presentation too.

Now a tiny apology to Man as Plague. My knee is still not fully recorverd and old men Marko and I decided to have a Chinese meal inbetween, opting to skip a band we can see again over the foreigners. So while the program stated missing is no option, that's what we did. They replaced Anatomy of I, who had to cancel due to injury. Pity as I liked their first CD and saw them live in good form too before.


After our dinner break the band with the hardest to read logo Terra Builder from Germany. They must have thought that Loud & Heavy wanted matters to be Loud & Heavy. One blur of energetic noise came over us. For me a bit too much over the heavy top. With a show this energetic they also followed the rule of the day, bands not using their allowed time slot in full.


Closing of the day came from Belgium. The country that spits outr good bands in high rate the past decade. Triagone are from Brussels and their logo and T-shirts screamed Tech Death. Now that is the extreme style in metal I mostly like on stage. Turned out that Triagone only have released one EP. This young lot showed they can play and their female vocalists screamed and grunted enthusiastically. For me the ingredients are there to become a great band, but tonight missed to some variation in both vocal and instrumetal areas.An interesting finish too when band called it a day, took a selfie with the crowd and started packing. This only to unpack hereafter and give a half empty Musicon an extra song, which was a repeat really. So thanks to Ralf and all involved at WRR and Musicon for a pleasant day in Musicon. Pity the bicycle ride home was through rain and storm as if t is autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment