Sunday 21 January 2024

Sneeuwpop - Hofpark Wateringen, 20 January 2024


20 January meant the proper opening of Open Air Festival season as always in Wateringen. No matter the bragging of Paaspop being festival season opener, the Westland and The Hague(and Vlaardingen hallo Zoe and Rene) region know better. Sneeuwpop almost had real snow this year, but missing out by some two days only. Still it was refreshing enough. Programming on this day is always local bands including a metal band from the area (thanks Merel). Last year I ended up with a new Year's drink of sorts with a large group. This year upon arrival I found none of them. I arrived when Where Siberia Ended started their set. Guitar rock with some Pearl Jam they said. I thought the volume very low and the music rather average. It was cold and I was looking for friends, so maybe distracted a bit.


Next band were Mancuerda a Death Metal outfit from The Hague. Those who frequent metal evenings in Musicon shall know them by seeing them play some times before and by them walking around during other band evenings. Their Death Metal is of the slow and dooomy kind and to me it is so refreshing to have a heavy break during a general rock festival. As this band were a local band first friends I would bump into were those who tend to spend Friday nights in Musicon as well. Death Metal is never for everyone at a festival like this, but I believe they went down pretty Ok and the small girl with the sign Hup Mancuerda did her part. Not sure  if their introduction to the song Necrophile Passion is woke enough for 2024.

So after the metal I found that many of last year who are my former football team of 35 years ago meanwhile had shown up too. So I forgot about the music and we stayed till the end when a Celebr80s band gave us everything from Van Halen till the horror of the Weather Girls to close the day. Sneeuwpop is to me more about catching up and share some beers, than the music. Mancuerda were good and the rest I hardly heard. Still the fact that we stayed some six hours out in the cold without complaints said enough really. Next year January we shall again join the opening of Open Air festival season in Wateringen.

No comments:

Post a Comment