Sunday 17 December 2023

Moongarden - Pallas - Rages of Sin

I am almost done ranking my favorite 2023 albums. These three won't make the cut, because I so far only have them on computer and physical copies still on their way. Too little time to get a history with them, these albums desserve your immediate attention as they sound pretty damn fine after very little time spent with them.


Moongarden - Christmas Night 2066
My favorite Italians are back with a concept album. Christmas night means I probably will pick it up around all christmasses from now on. Moongarden play prog rock, with beautiful keys and guitar solos that sing around. This is one fine album and the bonus disk brings covers with a highlight in Hairless Heart (Genesis/Lamb) Waiting for the CD booklet and a return to de Boerderij.






Pallas - The Messenger
No I did not see that coming. A new Pallas album after nine years with the return of Alan Reed on vocals. I saw Alan Reed solo at The Peel in Kingston shortly after his split from Pallas and he was not amused to put it mildly. Now the Messenger brings us six (long) songs and one spin made me curious. The nice cover also raises hopes for the looks of the booklet I ordered. Maybe they should hook up with Moongarden for a Boerderij show. A ranking of their discography is in the plans for 2024.




Rages of Sin - Saligia 2.1
This album shall be released coming Friday 22/12. To celebrate a gig has been organized with The Hague's best OSDM band (Melting Eyes) and thrash metal band (Defazer). Rages of Sin are a bit unboxable. Definitely some tech death in the mix, but they like to go all over the place at times. Their last excelllent album (Divergence) got lost in Covid gig less years a bit, but this is another monster. From what I heard so far a true high in extreme metal again. So Friday Fluminense might be playing the Worldcup finals when gig year 23 is closed in style in Popradar (free entrance even, so not showing up is just plain stupid on all fronts). I think I have to follow my rule of thumb: music beats football. In this case as Libertadores did cost me Extol and Worldcup does not really matter anyway, plus boycot Fifa selling out to Saudi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment