Tuesday 3 October 2023

Flotsam and Jetsam & Hallowed Fire - Musicon The Hague, 2 October 2023


SOLD OUT!! What a joy to see that announcement on a Monday evening. Comments have been made on the many bands of larger scale playing the Monday evening in Musicon. Tonight it was as far as I know the first sold out show, proving that metal bangs seven days a week indeed. This was great news for Musicon, but also very welcome for Flotsam and Jetsam. Recently they had to cancel a US tour, due to low ticket sales versus huge costs. This week before playing Keep it True Rising they put a small club tour together through The Netherlands and Belgium, with three out of four shows already sold out. Flotsam and Jetsam have been playing Europe a lot over the years and that gained them a stable fanbase. I also repeated with Alex, who goes by the name Thrasher so he should know, that Flotsam and Jetsam still release relevant albums. So you are not waiting for the old songs only. On forehand I had the intention to go slow on the beeers on this Monday night. Well, let's say the intention was there.


The evening was opened Dutch though by Hallowed Fire. They played Musicon before as many venues in the area. A fine young thrash metal band with a sympathetic expression on stage. Sold out or not it still took a few songs before the space in front of the stage was filled. I don't own their EP's, so can't quote many songtitles. What I heard and saw was good again and they managed to warm up most of us in proper thrashing style. 


During the break it was time to catch up with many and more. Rebuilding the stage went fast and than I had to pinch myself again if this really was Flotsam and Jetsam opening with Hammerhead on a Monday night in my home venue. Yes they were and in great form too. It was over a year since they played last and no rust appeared to my ears. Flotsam and Jetsam did what they do best they Flotzed us till death. A high energy set, where I did not take notes, so no clue what was all played until Doomsday closed the evening. Well I had some Dreams of Death later that night, so that's one.
Flotsam were in good shape so I would say go and see them if you can. With most shows already sold out a bit of a pointless advice, but today in Fluor there are still tickets left.


Both Flotsam and Jetsam and Hallowed Fire gave us a perfect Monday night out. Coming weekend Musicon has a nice package again, with Loud & Heavy festival on Saturday and Semblant plus White Walls on Sunday with more. Pity I need to be at Progpower, but let's hope many people will find their way back to Musicon supporting your local venue and scene. I came this night by bicycle which is nothing special. Last year I also went by bicycle, but then they played bloody Helmond their last non-festival show before this tour. So a good excuse to repeat the picture I took when upon arrival finding the band lunching in front of the hotel I stayed in that night. 





No comments:

Post a Comment