Friday 9 June 2023

Rottenness & Gorgatron - Musicon The Hague, 9 June 2023


Tonight was differet in many ways and I thought writing my fastest review ever, as music went extreme and sets were short as a logical result. Upon arrival with Marko at Musicon  we felt some tension in the air, as the soundguy pulled out last minute and something needed to be improvised Far tooo technical for my limited brain I only discovered later that soundguys are not a necessity as sounds were OK for both bands.Warm weather, the middle of festival season with Into The Grave and lots of shows over the last months always made this an uphill battle for audience numbers. Luckily some showed up and I got an energetic and entertaining evening.


Gorgatron opened the night ,with most of us still sitting outside as temperatures were all too pleasant. I listened to some clips on forehand and knew this band would be more up my alley of the two. Death Metal from Fargo, North Dakota it was and they sounded very fine. Knowing of the sound issues the clear difference between the two guitarists and all instruments was amazing. Their style went from Death also through thrashy bits and some great domination of instruments made this a good set. Ending with a more known song we got Dead Embryonic Cells by Sepultura. A good set which made me look at the merch, but eyes being hollowed out on the back stopped me from buying which is not a very OSDM thing to do I know.


Headlining were Mexican/American band  Rottenness. Their grind/brutal death metal goes beyond my usual comfort zone, but that means little for live shows. And while considerin the music of Gorgatron better , the presentation and  energy coming from Rottennness was contagious. Well not in a way that pits appeared and Musicon got moving, but the show was appreciated by those in the house. I would expect with this extreme style to have more youth in, but unknown bands can't attract youth that easy nowadays. Rottenness also ended with a cover and Anthrax' I Am The Law almost sounded pop after their set, but closed the evening in style. With the small crowd and the long tour ahead, I felt like getting a Tee, also as Musicon, The Hague appears on the back in green and purple. A good evening was had and I went slow on the beers as tommorrow my return to a football pitch awaits after ten years while last time I broke my pulse. So after a hectic evening a good night rest is needed and  I shall proudly wear my Rottenness Tee during the annoying DJ sets after the football has finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment