Tuesday 5 July 2022

Stuckfish - Kandia - Black Swan - Sacred Son

Several CD tips for the summer, ranging from fairly quiet to pretty brutal.


Stuckfish - Days of Innocence
Progrock comes in several forms, but the storytelling version usually is British. Bands like Big Big Train and Cosmograf tell long stories over calm(ish) music, with guitars talking along in melodic fashion. Stuckfish fall is in that range and their new album does not disappoint. Maybe not for every moment as you better look for calm and quiet and really take all in. Eight songs all ranging from 5:35 to eight minutes and a bit. It took me a few spins to fully appreciate the album, but now it can stand proudly next to their previous album The Watcher from 2019. If I have one comment it is that only the lyrics of the title track are published with the CD, while vocalist Phil Stuckey is also a writer of short stories. He therefore has a way with words. Musically waking up on Sunday morning seldom was this relaxed.


Kandia - Quaternary
Kandia are from Portugal and I picked this CD up when visiting Piranha CD store in Porto. I knew of them on forehand as I was going to see them at Comendatio Music Fest in 2020. Well that got postponed and on 6 August I will have a new chance. Looking forward to this one, as their catchy metal varies from a heavier Alanis Morissette to grunting heaviness. One of the female voices I have no issues with as Operatic screaming stays where it should and that is far from my CD player. Not overly proggy, yet pretty accessible, so bring them on I'd say.


Black Swan - Generation Mind
Frontiers and their supergroups. Reason enough too piss off many it seems in magazines and online. I can fully enjoy several of these projects. This band is another one filled with big names. Robin McAuley on vocals proves again that he would be the best voice from the past still around if only Glenn Hughes would retire. Another perfect performance by him. Reb Beach on guitars, Jeff Pilson on bass and Matt Star on drums make this a supergroup indeed. If the final result is twelve great songs ranging from uptempo to the obligatory eighties ballad you won't hear me complain. Highly recommended this Generation Mind


Sacred Son - The Foul Deth Of Engelond
My Black Metal collection is modest. I don't own most of the classics and occassionally pick up a CD. For some reason especially the UK version seems to speak to me as I thoroughly enjoyed the live shows and thereafter albums by Fen and Inconsenssus Lux Lucis. Ard earlier this year was a highlight, but more folky. Now Sacred Son came to me, based upon their awesome cover. The previous albums all look like holiday pics and this one holds a surprise as well. The concept album tells us the history lesson of the Peasants Revolt in 1381. Musically it is mainly blasting BM, even though the last song Vengeance goes folky. Highlight live must be The Boy King as Five Heads on Pikes! lends itself for loud shouting along. I can never describe why some Black Metal albums do speak to me, but this one has definitely more on offer tan only the best cover of 2022.  


No comments:

Post a Comment