Wednesday 17 March 2021

Demoniac - Jason Bieler - Soen - MSG

While the first three montsh are almost over already I have not reviewed any albums yet. And this while we did not have a bad start of the year. So herewith some CD's released in January that deserve a listen at least.


Demoniac - So It Goes
The biggest surprise came from the other side of the world. Demoniac are from Chili and play Thrash Metal with some blackened influences. The songs are both sung in English and Spanish. I have the impression that their English is a challenge. When your guitarist/vocalist calls himself Heavier Mortiz I can't stop thinking so what does Lighter Mortiz play? Second guitarist calls himself Young and plays Clarinet as well. Clarinet? yes this band dares to go all directions. Best example for that is Extraviado an almost instrumental song. The closing 20 minute lasting epic title track is a true adventure as well. When they mainly play thrashy metal, there is also an eighties speed metal feel to their music. I found them through Angrymetalguy who made them album of the month. While listening I was sold immediately even if it takes some time to get their music. I just checked and on FB they still have only 1105 followers. So AMG and a very positive review in the last Loud! did not convince too many yet. Check them out and support these Chileans. 


Jason Bieler and the Baron von Bielski Orchestra - Songs for the Apocalypse
Guaranteed to Amaze and Astonish. Sensational Auditory Oddities and jaw dropping Musical Feats around an Awe-inspiring Spectacular. A Tremendous Euphorical Experience and Oppulent Sonic Odyssey Freaks Galore a Mesmerizing Extravaganze. That is how the Circus sells itself in the booklet. Well they aren't far from the truth. Jason Bieler is known from Saigon Kick who played the legendary DOA 91. This album he called friends for help and a.o. Dave Ellefson, Devin Townsend, Todd la Torre and Bumblefoot helped out. The result a remarkable uplifting album that made me smile. This is music for when the spring relaizes it should bring the sun along and evenings are getting lighter. Also here some time investing in multiple plays is needed, but if open for this style you will be rewarded.


Soen - Imperial
I almost missed out on this album. It was that Hans in our concert app group pointed out this was a winner of an album, that I looked it up. To my surprise it probably is their best album to date. Eight songs in their characteristic melancholic style. Great vocals as always, solo's where needed and atmosphere all around. I guess that with Anathema on a undefined hiatus Soen should win over many of their fans who don't know the band yet. So why did I almost miss out? I tought by myself that after a few of their albums Soen could not add much more and I would stop buying all in the blind. This happens more often to me, when I realize that holding 3 a 4 albums of a band is enough (example I stopped buying Leprous' last two albums) This time I thought wrong. I already recently posted their brilliant The Antagonist videoclip, so another one today. Later this year in de Boerderij, plaease let that show go on.


MSG - Immortal
Michael Schenker is no longer a Temple of Rock or a Fest, but back to being a Group. Does not really matter as the idea stays the same. Several vocalists dividing the songs and sometimes singing all together. I knew I would get this CD when I heard opening song Drilled to Kill with Ralf Scheepers. That is one heavy opening track. That level is not maintained throughout, but in general a pleasant album again. Joe Lynn Turner and Ronnie Romero (him again) are the main vocalists. I think it is a pity that producer and friend Michael Voss also sings on two songs, as his voice is a bit flat. The power ballad would for sure be better of with one of the other three mentioned voices. The album closes with a re-recording of 50 (!) year old song In Search of the Peace of Mind. I have that song on Tokyo Tapes live, but this version is a highlight on the album. I bought the version with the bonus DVD MSFest live at Bang Your Head. I saw that set in de Melkweg some years ago and you can never have too much Into The Arena or Rock Bottom. When the show starts I rememberd my thoughts at the day. Holiday opens and Michael Schenker sings himself intending to have the audience taking over,. That not all clear results in a shaky start (hey you bring four vocalists why do this?)  From there on the show is a Fest indeed and Michael Schenker seems fitter than ever nowadays, remaining the guitar god he always was.



No comments:

Post a Comment