Wednesday 21 February 2024

Undercroft, Dekapited & Violentor Musicon The Hague, 20 February 2024


On a Tuesday winter evening Musicon decided to put Chile on my metal map. Well not completely  as I do love the last two albums by Chilean progressive thrashers Demoniac. But seeing Chilean metal bands live was a blanco for me. I came close in 2013 when Progpower was organized in Santiago, but that festival pulled the plug while I was supposed to go there with hotel and flights all planned. So now Chile to me still means one week spend there around christmas 1998, Isabel Allende and our favorite wines from Casillero del Diablo. So welcoming some Chile tonight we first were warmed up by some Italians.


Violentor play speed metal of the raw kind. First things that I noticed were the unfortunate sound at the start and the vocalist/ guitarist "Dog" whom I hosted some years ago when he toured with The Laws Kill Destroy. So initially all I heard was drums sounding like tin cans. Luckily this got sorted and throughout their set Violentor improved. Touring their last album Manifesto di Odio they thrashed us slowly warm. This heat also because turnout was surprisingly good on this Tuesday evening.


Next band were Dekapited from Chile. They play thrash metal and do so very well. Their lyrics are in Spanish so I got one CD for Josie after the set. She is improving her Spanish after some patients complained her Spanish is not fluent (remember this is in The Hague, but after a Eritraean civil war being held here last weekend nothing surprises us). Now playing Destrucciön Trascendental I doubt she will love here new study material. But I am drifting away as I liked Dekapited's set a lot. Their songs were short and furious spiced up by guitar solos from Cristían Contreras, which were as short and spicy (hallo Kirk Hammett and Kerry King). One great set they gave us.


Headliners of the evening were Undercroft. from Chile. This Death Metal outfit were formed in 1991 so they have some years under their metal belts. And yes you could hear that as we got one heavy machine bulldozering over us. Undercroft were a tight band, even when one guitarst left the hall for a while (changing strings?) noone got upset and all flowed heavily onwards. Their death metal knew enough variation to keep me interested throughout. At times technical and sometimes even a bit doomy. Again going in blanco it became clear why headliners were headliners. Undercroft tour their last album Battle of Demons and after some shows in Belgium they return to Heerhugowaard ad Arnhem coming weekend. I can only recommend to go there for one fine evening of metal. So another Tuesday night well spend in Musicon were all generations showed up this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment