Thursday 15 February 2024

Advocacy - Lucifer - Mega Colossus - Saxon


While we are over six weeks into the new year, about time to share some CD tips. Is the prog leaving my system slowly in favour of heavy metal? Maybe, but the two albums I played most early 2024, are late arriving 2023 prog records by Moongarden and Pallas. But here's the first 2024 tips, with some nice albums in the pipeline still.


Advocacy - The Path of Decoherence
This one I checked out after a review by Matt and I did understand what he was so positive about (Aardschok not so much). These Danes play progmetal and more towards the modern complex kind than the style that was popular some 30 years ago. I believe that all reviews I read state that the band's bio references Threshold, Dream Theater and Haken do not immediately come to mind. I at times thought of Native Construct as in the band is not very easy on the ears at first listen, but rewards you after some proper effort. What I like most is the notches of tech metal throughout the album. 


Lucifer - V
This one I picked up after seeing them on tour with Angel Witch. Beforehand I had listened to some clips of this album and maybe they are not for every moment I do like this V a lot. Occult retro rock with a female vocalist, which is nice for a change in my female-voices-under-represented collection. The songs are all pretty great, but At The Mortuary is the catchiest earwurm. No critics than? yes the booklet. Who thought that reading golden lyrics on a black background was a good plan? Even during the day a light is needed, pity.


Mega Colossus - Showdown
This US Heavy Metal outfit exist since 2005 and released with Showdown their fourth full lenght. I missed them so far, which is a pity after hearing this album. Their double guitars make this sound at times like Thin Lizzy on speed. I love this album from start to finish and the (only) 38 minutes fly by with six songs. The opening track Fortune & Glory is a candidate for thr heavy metal anthem of the year with it's glorious break just after five minute. Mega Colossus come to Europe this summer. Well to Germany where they play H.O.A. and another festival the weekend thereafter. I sounded possibilities for having them playing nearby inbetween both festivals, but dates already have been booked. Keeping an eye on the metal agenda and maybe a Germany trip late July makes sense.


Saxon - Hell, Fire and Damnation
The title and cover of the new Saxon do promise metal. Well in reality Saxon are not going to surprise anyone since in 79 when the dam began to burst. They were among my first heavy metal idols, being a notch heavier than the Whitesnake, UFO, MSG and the likes I loved before. 45 years later Saxon still release strong albums. I don't own many of them, but since Thunderbolt and a few strong live shows before that I buy them upon release again, just for supporting your old heroes'sake (well not the cover albums Inspirations). Saxon have been added to the bill of Dynamo Metal Fest this august. I shall wait for day division and the line-up of Complexity before deciding where to go. If Flotsam, Forbidden and Nestor play the same day DMF shall win.



No comments:

Post a Comment