Sunday 11 February 2024

In the Grip of Winter Fest - Baroeg Rotterdam, 10 February 2024


Saturday 10 February and trains heading south from The Hague are filled with weirdly dressed carnaval go-ers. Those who prefer their Lucifer over the nonsense speaking pope and his child abusing friends got out at Rotterdam Lombardijen, All fancy dressed in jeans and black Baroeg was the place to be for those liking their metal in several forms of extreme. Marko and I were among them with taste in music and a long day in hot Baroeg lay ahead of us.


Upon arrival the first band Carnal Desecration were already halfway their set. That sounded surprisingly good and this Belgian Death Metal outfit won over all those who were in on time. Definitely a band that is welcome to return and closing with their self titled song put an end to a very good start of the day.


Next on were Nattas and this was the band that mainly drew me to Baroeg today. Given the name and insider fame of some bandmembers I thought them surprisingly low on the bill. This until I found out that they played a second festival in Arnhem the very same evening. Maybe because of that they did not have any merch on sale. Pity as this show defintely would convince me to get some music. Most famous probably is Mike Wead on guitars as he plays with King Diamond and Mercyful Fate too. He alone brought this band to a higher level, but the rest were surely no slouches either. The festivalinfo said Black / Thrash from Stockholm but I heard mainly very good thrash metal, with possibly some black in the lyrics. The set flew by and I realized that probably the best band of the day played early. Tonight (11/02) they play Ragnarok in Bree, so those willing to escape the pope's party should go there really.


I always suffer at festivals to enjoy bands after a high. So Gutwrench had some problems in drawing me into their set of Death Metal. All sounded good and they played tight, but I missed the sensation I just witnessed with Nattas. So halfway the set we decided to go out and grab something to eat. This to find a snackbar in distress as more people had this same plan.


When we returned into Baroeg it turned out that it meanwhile was packed and thus pretty hot. Next band were Dutch Black Metallers Infinity. Previous time I saw them I picked up their album Hybris, so I must have liked their show. Initially I was not all that convinced today as the first songs sounded a bit similar to me, but somewhere halfway their set they won me over again. Their bulldozering blasting and riffing makes you nod your head automatically. Finally it remains impressive how someone is able to drum like a beast and sing at the same time, even if you could hardly see him behind the smokescreen.


Bodyfarm came on next and they are among Dutch Death Metal elite. Well that did not disappoint as the few times I saw them before made me realize Bodyfarm does not do disappointing shows. The very strong double guitars give their death metal some heavy metal feel to me. This show was one long glorious ride through their catalogue. I believe this was the first time I saw them after their sad loss and they remained equally strong. Bodyfarm are ready for international glory as in The Netherlands they already showed all how good they can be.


Than it was up to Belgian Black Metal cultists Ancient Rites to close the evening. Meanwhile the greasy food, combined with the heat made me feel not all that top fit any longer and their music did not help a lot either. This was not for me and maybe timing was wrong. Anyway Marko and I decided to catch an earlier train home and leave the Grip of Winter. Thanks to organizers for a diverse day of extreme metal and than I realized was this my last show in old Baroeg? I have no planned shows in the coming months yet, so who knows. If so Bodyfarm were a proper closing band of Baroeg, the only venue I know selling awesome shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment