Friday 7 February 2020

Temple Renegade - Paardcafe 6 February 2020


The Hague has a new strong progmetal band. At least that is what I read in iO Pages. The fact that I never heard of them before is already strange by itself. I always thought I did follow the local scene closely, progmetal is so to say my homeground genre and I was looking for a new local progmetal favorite after Resolve fell apart. Well after reading the review I looked them up on bandcamp and indeed they sound nice. So then I found they would be playing Musicon Friday 7 February only to realize that I can not go and see them that evening. So when they were added as opening act for Voodoo Chambers in Paardcafe I was pleased that I could see them on stage. Starting a bit earlier as given only short time for playing it soon was clear to me that iO Pages were right.
In reviews it always is easy to mention names for references and with them I saw Karnivool, Mastodon, Gojira and A Perfect Circle passing by. I did not think them all that heavy and on calmer parts when drums dominated I can add A Liquid Landscape maybe. All in all references do not matter I liked the songs, which at times were very accessible as well with grungy or poppunk influences in the sing along choruses. One thing that stands out with younger bands is that their English is better than my generation. I always kept a healthy dose of Dutch in my English, but with these guys I was actually surprised they also spoke dutch after the show. I did get their CD afterwards and playing it now this is one band to follow. Go see them tonight in Musicon if you can.

There also was a headliner holding none other than Koen Herfst on drums. Koen is next to Cesar Zuiderwijk (Golden Earring) that other drummer from The Hague that is known worldwide. I saw him before with I Chaos and Dew Sentenced, but he also played for instance Madison Square Garden with Armin van Buuren. So he is open minded and I was not yesterday. This band was build around drums and bass which is not a problem to me as I did stay the full 80 minutes when Bell Witch performed their one song with only drums and bass at Into the Darkness. Yet this trip hoppy, psychedelic rock was not for me this evening as a bit too monotonous for my mood. When Temple Renegade return though, I will be there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment