Wednesday 19 February 2020

Noctem & Spectrum of Delusion - Musicon The Hague, 18 February 2020


Noctem coming all the way from Spain to play for us on a Tuesday night in Musicon. Looking at recent weekday shows this holds a risk, but as the alternative is not playing at all I guess for the band this is always the best option. Competition this night mainly by the Thrash Alliance tour hitting 013 Tilburg. I guess the restart of the Champions League did not count that much as after last week's discovery of Manchester City's cheating scheme we by now all should realize that modern football is shite. (BTW mark my words, City will not be punished for two years) But I am drifting away this Tuesday was a night for breakneck speed so on we moved.


Tonight's opener were Spectrum of Delusion from Katwijk. I did not have the pleasure of seeing them before. I say pleasure here as this Technical Death Metal band from Katwijk played very good. Maybe the songs did not stick as such in my head after first hearing, but you could tell this band could play. The many strings on stage were used well and this band turned out to be a good warmup for tonight's headliners.


Noctem played The Hague Metal Fest last year. I recalled a lot of energy coming off the big stage in the mainhall plus some locally coloured light effects. As a club is always more on top of the band I was curious what tonight would bring. An instrumental opening with attention for the heavy hitting on the floor toms until vocalist Beleth ran to the stage and we got blasted. I can say that the Technical Death Metal we heard before is more my thing than the Black Metal Noctem presented. Yet you could tell the difference in experience tonight. Noctem gave us one hell of a show, with at the right moments times to catch your breath during calmer bass or guitar parts. When during a second instrumental part Beleth went off stage in order to come back shirtless covered in blood (or a substitute to be more precise) my first thought was that this would paint my shower red later that night. Nevertheless we could see another good second half of their set. I don't really know song titles, but this band was about creating an atmosphere on stage and they did so very well. As I was receiving them in my HM B&B this evening I could get an idea on band dynamics later on. A great evening in Musicon yet again and go see Noctem on tour later this week nearby among others in Essen and Bree. In the end the shower did not turn red and some people had a long drive to Hildesheim today. Cheers!!


No comments:

Post a Comment