Thursday 1 August 2024

Mega Colossus & Speed Queen - Stereo Wonderland Köln, 1 August 2024


Mega Colossus released one of the best albums of 2024 with Showdown. A new discovery to me, but a longer discography to discover came before. So when I saw that Mega Colossus played HOA and another festival in Germany this week I sounded them if a gig in Holland would be a good idea. Well the week was already booked in Germany and closest to home would be Köln. A pretty long ride still, but when my brother in law came to visit bringing his brother in law along (confusing, not important) I pushed for a city trip and here we were. Later on I also saw Speed Queen being added to the bill a good and sympathetic Belgian Heavy Metal band who stayed at my place last year when opening for Night Demon in Musicon. So some sort of perfect storm brought me to Germany. A new tradition seems to be born. After last year's roadtrip to Jag Panzer, Riot City and Hellripper in Dortmund end July, this year 1 August brought me back for metal in Germany. Coincidence or not the new tradition comes with rain unfortunately. Stereo Wonderland was the place to be and this was a bar mainly. The stage made old Little Devil stage look royal, so it was all hot and sweaty tonight. The place not being huge meant it was packed tonight with lovers of good old Heavy Metal and I enjoyed the atmosphere already before both bands kicked off.


Speed Queen opening the evening and they were in good shape. Maybe since I knew several of their songs now it sounded to me better than last year's Musicon. A small hour they got and they managed to get fists in the air and carrying fans when Thomas went crowdsurfing. A very good show and if the place was warm already before kick-off temperatures were rising fast when the band played on. So Speed Quuen did set the place on Fire indeed. Good to see that Zeeman shorts still rule therefore.


During Speed Queen I tried to fight the heat by drinking fast along. That resulted in more sweating so I opted for the other side close to teh window for Mega Colossus. I am not sure if Showdon shall become my album of the year, but Fortune & Glory definitely is the catchiest opening track of 2024. So when their set opened the same for me the mood was set. What a brilliant start to a set that was filled with highs. Even if only knowing Showdown, the bulk of their set. The songs that were new to me sounded damn fine too. If there was a problem it must have been temperatures. O stage it was hot, but off stage it might have been even warmer. Due to noise conntrol no doors or windows could open and the place did not have or use Airco's or Ventilators. Still the shout Co-los-sus grew through the set and everyone in seemed to be more than a bit enjoying this band. For me it was an absolute highlight of gig year 2024 too, but afterwards I felt like finding my shower fast as most important. I did upgrade my CD collection though so next time I hope to know even more songs. And who knows someone manages to get them playing Holland too. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment