Monday 20 May 2024

Disgrace and Terror & Rages of Sin - Lazarus Leiden, 19 May 2024


Talking about last minute shows, this is among them way up there. Only confirmed on Wednesday I passed by this show when Rages of Sin posted on ther page. For me a very welcome gig with three reasons to go. First Rages of Sin who are The Hague's finest in metal released a new album with a hometown show early December. That evening I spent in hospital with Josie being pretty bad and their next show I missed too. So finally saw them promoting Saligia 2.1, Further Disgrace and Terror are from Brazil and so are Josie and Tiago 50%. Over the past years I saw several Brazilian bands playing Musicon and I like their raw underground sound most of the times.  Finally the show was in Leiden Tiago's current hometown. So our Pentacosta family dinner was in Leiden, after which Josie took a train home and Tiago joined me to Lazarus for a while.


The weather was nice, so people were drinking outside until at 20:30 Rages of Sin would kick of the evening. Being a 4 piece band the stage is rather small in Lazarus, so they walked often off stage too. Their set was fine and sound was OK in spite of old skool setup over guitar amps. They visited their EP The Gospel of.. and both full lenghts Divergence and Saligia 2.1. Rages of Sin do play a sort of melodic death metal, but they move away too. So we did get a hardrock song halfway. Closer tonight was the opener last time I saw them J'accuse. A song with a French title and Dutch lyrics. One last chance for the younger generation in to bang their heads somewhere between the entrance door and the stage.  Tiago liked the atmosphere and to see this and told me he would join again (timing allowing) if I head for Nobel or Lazarus and while at it bring some friends. He felt not top fit and left before his fellow countrymen would enter Lazarus.


Disgrace and Terror are on a long trip through Europe and nearing the end. This last minute inclusion was welcome to them, but originally they had to drive back to Brussles after the show as Aldyr told me. They had met a Brazilian lady who invited them to stay at her place and when he introduced us, it turned out she knew Josie. Something about a small world and Brazilian hospitality I guess. Anyway after the break Disgrace and Terror hit the stage and the young metalkids took the floor in front of it. This resulted in a fine show with lots of audience participation. Advantages of a small venue. I quite liked the Death/Thrash  that DaT gave us. I did not know of them before this evening, but they formed in 2000 and have 6 full lenghts already. I picked their last The True Will Of Evil after the show and shall follow them from now on. 


So this was one fine evening in Lazarus organized by Metal Experience and the recently formed Stormram Bookings. If they will put on more evenings like this I am pretty sure that frequent returns to Lazarus shall be on the menu.The amateur antropologist in me also studied the students entering and I found three types. First there are the open minded ones like the young couple and the four girls standing next to me. Obviously not attending metal shows on a weekly basis, interested, appreciative and enjoying something completely different. Than there are the (always boys) who enter act popular and piss off after one or two songs. I saw the same during Martyr in de Zwarte Ruiter and now it was Lazarus' turn. Finally there are those who open the door, wait maximum two seconds and decide this is not for them. Well as long as there are open minded ones in the mix there is still hope. The future of metal was already secured by the group of young fans in jeans with patches by the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment