Sunday 23 July 2023

Space Vacation, Thorium & Hidden Intent - Little Devil Tilburg, 22 July 2023


Summer means festival season. I do not tend to visit many as I prefer the smaller indoor festivals. Visiting some of the free festivals in the area is nice as I meet people I don't see all that often. This day it was Waterpop near The Hague, but this year the plague of promoters ignoring metal alltogether is huge. So my reaction is not going to all. Today it was made easier as Little Devil offered a package with something for everyone. Thrash Metal from Down Under, Heavy Metal from Belgium and US Metal from well the US. So Hans joined me as he coull do with another indoor gig of metal as well. Even if not being huge names maybe, the Little Devil had a very decent turnout again. My only limitation was a train back at 23:09 as Josie worked her first evening shift at the hospital (proud of her) and with that train I could pick her up just after her shift had finished. So I was ready for metal and let the party begin.


Hidden Intent
Well making a party you could leave to thesse thrashing aussies. I only knew their name in advance, but they turned out to be well at ease on stage. This trio brought their thrash with a smile on their face and at times in their lyrics too (Drop Bears Are Real). They played for some 45 minutes and won over some new fans. At the merch table I skipped  T-shirts or CD's but went for the beer can holder. If ever drinking slow on the beach, my beers shall  stay cold. A great opening of the evening for us.


Thorium
This Belgian Heavy Metal with Dutch vocals I did see a few times before. I even saw their first show at a festival in Belgium some years ago (thanks for reminding me Theo). Their metal has some more to the point Maiden vibes and goes down easy. The Blackie Lawless lookalike on bass has left the band, but the new bassist was still the wildest man on stage. Maybe not the same charisma as Hidden Intent before them, but Thorium do not disappoint and their music goes down fine. The cover in their set still was the Hall of the Mountain King, next time a new surprise please. 


Space Vacation
Coming all the way from San Francisco this band never got much exposure over here. I do not recall any reviews in Dutch magazines or websites while they already released five full lenghts since 2009. I listened to some of their music at bandcamp before and knew I would like their show. Well that got confimred big time. What a great band they are and why are they so unknown? Or is that just me as Rick informed they played Heavy Metal Maniacs some years ago. Well I miss that festival often due to autumn holidays. I won't miss Space Vacation when they come back to The Netherlands as they were great and a worthy closer of a very nice evening in Little Devil. My only issue was that they would sell merch only after the show and we had to leave fast as our train was already at the station when we rushed in. Next time I correct that. So thanks to Mario and Little Devil for confirming once again, why I prefer these kind of intimate clubshows over huge summer festivals.



No comments:

Post a Comment