Friday 10 June 2022

Mastodon & Planet Zeus - 013 Tilburg, 9 June 2022



Mastodon back in The Netherlands, so I decided I needed to be there. Now that sounds logical maybe, but I have a sort of strange relation with Mastodon. I saw them only once before which was 15 years ago when they toured Blood Mountain and played Fields of Rock. At the time I was surprised as I was expecting Dublin Death Patrol and organization did not inform the change of stages between bands. So I was pissed off and liked them, but watched from a distance. Herefater they released several great albums, but somehow I always managed to miss them live. Maybe also as I don't know too many other Mastodon fans, which changed now as Ton told me he was going, which made me decide to join him easier. The night before I came home late from Portugal and early waking neighbours rebuilding their house made it a short night. Luckily Ton drove and I could relax. Now I was especially curious to see them properly for the first time with the great Hushed and Grim album released end October 2021.
We timed perfectly as just before support band Planet Zeus opened the evening we stepped into modern 013 (Tiny lockers only opened and paid with a smartphone, hard plastic cups with a 50 cent deposit and drink prices adapted to post-Covid). Not to worry have a drink and we sat down on the still empty steps of the main hall to see Planet Zeus. Well these Greeks played Ok and nice, but none of their stoner sludgy songs made a huge impact on us. The good thing is that still concert hungry people like anything, so they got some response from the slowly filling hall. Decent but not groundbreaking it was.


Than Mastodon came on and kicked of with the opener of their last album Pain Wth An Anchor. Hereafter back to Blood Mountain with some Crystal Skull. Now I must admit I just checked on Setlist.fm which songs they played. Mastodon is one of those bands where I recognize the song, but can not immediately name it or the album it is from. The evening would be split between half new songs (8) and half oldies(7). I did love the new songs as good or if not even better as I played them most the last half year. Highlight of the new album live to me was  the closing track Gigantium, which just sounded huge live. from the oldies Bladecatcher made an impact and of course the Czar. Halfway the show I just asked Ton what the hooded guy behind keyboards was doing on stage as I did not hear him. Just than he became main instrument during Skeleton of Splendor and thereafter the opening of ubersong The Czar. The evening closed with an encore their first hit Blood and Thunder (White Whale, Holy Grail). Turned out to be a rather perfect evening which made me wonder if they can ever become the next headliner of major festivals. I don't think they will be liked broad enough. So maybe DMF or Alcatrazz might work, but the 50.000 fans festivals seem unlikely to me. Was there space on improvement? Not really, although mentioning that they know  every band is on tour and it is festival season, so the fullish house was appreciated. This did not match with their spicy priced merch of 40 Euro for a T-shirt and 60 for a hoody. Also my favorite HaG song (Had It All) was not included in the set (my bad). As a band the total package fully worked. The stage performance, the songs blending heavy, doomy and proggy giving some for all to like. The very good switching between vocals, the light show and finally the coolest banner I saw in a long time. Throughout the evening I tried to get it on picture, but never really managed with my old phone. I won't be waiting 15 years to see them again, actually the next tour I probably will be back as well. Those going to Graspop, don't miss out on Mastodon which should be easy given the bands playing at the same time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment