Sunday 6 June 2021

Pain of Salvation Ranking the albums


 A good trip down Remedy Lane this was and to my positive surprise the albums that I thougt least of even had their good moments. So ranking PoS was not that hard, with still at some points choices to be made. My ranking is as follows:

10. Road Salt One
Originally a big disappointment, later on I realized it had some good songs on it too and for certain days it works well for me.
9. BE
Even holding some good songs overall an album I will not return to on CD anyday soon, maybe I play the DVD again one day.
8. Road Salt Two
Same story as number one, but with better songs on it for me and also not unimportant some metal songs again.
7. Panther
I think seeing them play this album live will help my appreciation of the songs further. Now an OK album but not top of the list material.
6. Scarsick
The wildest mix within one album. Some very strong songs here, but also America and that song unfortunately.
5. Entropia
A very good debut album, even if I picked it up some years later. Lasting over 70 minutes not consistent in high quality overall to me. Paving the way for the classics that would follow.
4. In the Passing Light of Day
The album the re-won them many fans from the early days. An emotional concept piece filled with heavy songs and wonderful melodies. Title track among their three best songs ever.
3. The Perfect Element I
Probably a favorite to many, for me just a notch below my top two. Filled with classic PoS songs that all are welcome during a live show. Used opens extremely strong.
2. Remedy Lane
On some days my number one. This is PoS how I love it. Wide variation in songs, without experiments outside my comfort zone. Best when played from start to finish for me.
1. One Hour By The Concrete Lake
My first PoS album, their heaviest and overall best set of songs. Pity that during live shows they hardly play songs from it. 11 songs all killer no filler (unless you consider an instrumental opener of 43 seconds no song). From Inside to Inside Out a great ride through PoS at their best, played by their best line-up.
So what's next? Panther's follow up? The Perfect Element II? Scarsick 2 or a dance album? With Daniel Gildenlöw we never know and I think that is one of the beauties of this band (or solo project nowadys). Unpredictable by all means. Sometimes the surprises are not so nice, but you can't discuss quality with this band.

No comments:

Post a Comment