Thursday 27 May 2021

Queensryche Ranking the Albums



Queensryche is the weirdest of rankings I did so far or ever shall do. I can think of no other band where I love their best albums so much, while almost disliking their worst albums at a same level. Actually I can group the sixteen CD's in four categories: 1-5 Must have classic albums 6-10 Highly recommended 11-15 Avoid if possible 16 Run, fast and far away from this album For the ranking my choices fell within each group therefore and at times are interchangeable. Any album jumping from one group to another on the other hand is almost impossible. so here is my list
16: Dedicated to Chaos I never heard or read anyone saying or writng something positive about this album. I don't have it and it is to me by far their worst. What annoys is that noone was brave enough to take the blame.
15. Q2K No remarkable songs or performances here. The band lost their ways and seemed confused.
14. American Soldier A theme that does nothing for me. Spoken words and a duet with his daughter make this an album that only works for militairs I guess.
13. Hear in the Now Frontier The first time Queensryche disappointed. Hearing the later albums today some were even worse, but what they were thinking really noone shall know. Poor album
12. Operation: Mindcrime II A pointless attempt to write a sequel to their highest acclaimed album. I only put it on twelve as some melodies return and Dio sings a few lines. Failed attempt
11. Frequency Unknown Not sure if we can categorize it as a Queensryche album. If doing so it has some better songs than all the albums mentioned so far. Not a solid album still, but some good performances.
10. Condition Hüman This is the biggest gap on the ranking. 10 is so much better than number 11. We now arrive at the albums you should have if you collect metal. A solid album with good songs. Just a bit below the others.
9. Tribe A surprise to me as I played it for the first time this weekend and the second CD I don't have. Actually several good songs and the band more in form after two disappointments in a row. I will pick it up one day when finding it at a good price.
8. The Verdict Their last album is a good piece of metal indeed. Strong songs, good band and Queensryche as good as we can expect nowadays.
7. Empire Am I too critical on this one? I look at chances of picking it up for playing again and that is why number seven. Anyone not knowing the band should get it and probably ranks it higher. To me heard too often to excite.
6. Queensryche The first album with Todd LaTorre was such a nice surprise. Back to their eighties style of metal with a vocalist who can safe them through old hits live as well. Several hits on this one for me.
5. Queensryche EP If this was a full album contender for my number one. Now only four songs. What an introduction to the band this was. Tip the CD version has the Japan live show as bonus, at a bargain price.
4. Promised Land I always liked this album better than Empire and this weekend learned I should play it more often. It shows the dark side of Queensryche not shying away from ballads, but of the good kind. Beautiful.
3. Rage For Order Upon Release a bit scary with the single and outfits a wonderful album in the end. Filled with songs that nowadays return to their live set a worthy number three as one and two are even better.
2. Operation: Mindcrime Yes this could have been my number one, but I heard it way more times. The metal concept album of all time is one of those everyone with a mild interest in metal music should own. All killer no filler and that for a concept piece..
1. The Warning What an album. I remember now... how I was blown away the first times I played the LP. This album has everything I need on a classic metal album from fast and heavy to slow and moody. When you struggle finding your favorite track it always is a good sign. My favorite Queensryche album and I can hear anytime day or night. Music at it's most beautiful (how the hell could this band release DtC 27 years later?)





No comments:

Post a Comment